Live Updates: Judge Amy Coney Barrett to face Senate confirmation hearing

Geee

live-updates-judge-amy-coney-barrett-to-face-senate-confirmation-hearing
Fox News

The Senate confirmation hearings for President Trump’s selection for the Supreme Court, Amy Coney Barrett, is set to begin Monday as Republicans who control the Senate work to seat the federal appeals court judge before the presidential election in a few weeks.

Trump chose the 48-year-old judge after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

“I have been nominated to fill Justice Ginsburg’s seat, but no one will ever take her place,” Barrett says in her remarks to the Senate Judiciary Committee. The Associated Press obtained a copy of her statement on Sunday. Democrats are expected to ask her tough questions on a variety of issues, including abortion.:snip:

American Bar Association gives Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett its highest rating

Sarah Taylor

Oct. 12 2020

The American Bar Association on Sunday announced that it has given Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett its highest rating.

(Snip)

In a Sunday letter addressed to Senate Judiciary Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and ranking member Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the American Bar Association advised that Barrett is "well qualified" for a position on the Supreme Court.

On Sunday, DC Examiner reporter Jerry Dunleavy shared the letter on Twitter, writing, "The American Bar Association released its determination that Judge Amy Coney Barrett is 'Well Qualified' on the eve of the start of her Supreme Court confirmation hearings."

A portion of the letter reads, "The American Bar Association's Standing Committee on the federal judiciary has completed its evaluation of the professional qualifications of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, who has been nominated by the President to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States."

(Snip)

Democrats attack Judge Barrett with bogus talking point

Paul Mirengoff

October 12, 2020

Hearings on the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court began this morning. It’s my understanding that today’s hearing were devoted to speeches. I didn’t have the stomach to listen to them.

A reader who listened to the first few speeches writes:

I’m watching the “hearing” about Judge Barrett’s nomination. Senator Leahy is now describing how “Vermonters” are “scared” that Judge Barrett’s nomination will mean that Vermonters will lose healthcare and that the government will become a modern-day version of the Gestapo.

The narrative seems to be that the sinister Judge Barrett is plotting to join the Supreme Court so that she and a right-wing cabal of maniacs will “strip” “Vermonters” and other Americans of their rights. Meanwhile, Judge Barrett enjoys the privilege of sitting there all day listening to one speech after another by members of the Committee.

I think I’ll take my TV clicker and see if I can find a good rerun of the “Love Boat.”

(Snip)

Thus, the attempt to tie Barrett’s confirmation to Obamacare is “disingenuous,” as McCarthy kindly puts it. Democrats hope (1) to score points against Republican Senators facing reelection who will vote to confirm Barrett and (2) to build momentum for a push to pack the Supreme Court as quickly as possible, assuming Democrats take control of the White House and the Senate.

“Love Boat” reruns, anyone?