Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87

clearvision

index.html
CNN

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died on Friday, the court announced. She was 87.

Ginsburg was appointed in 1993 by President Bill Clinton and in recent years served as the most senior member of the court's liberal wing consistently delivering progressive votes on the most divisive social issues of the day, including abortion rights, same-sex marriage, voting rights, immigration, health care and affirmative action.

AP: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

MARK SHERMAN

Sept. 18 2020

WASHINGTON (AP) — Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a diminutive yet towering women’s rights champion who became the court’s second female justice, died Friday at her home in Washington. She was 87.

Ginsburg died of complications from metastatic pancreatic cancer, the court said.

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________________

th?id=OIP.yFUCWCBg7vYrC7mnY3UEAgHaIX%26p

Power Line

Comment

Arnold Townsend 44 minutes ago edited

My only real beef with Ginsburg was her extremist political views so I won't mock her now or her passing. As long as you ignored her nauseating leftism, she wrote some interesting pieces over the years. She wrote well and one could agree with her sentiments if not her particulars. It always puzzled me why leftists like Ginsburg could often see the small truths but trip hard over the big picture. It may be by choice or it might be some kind of mental blindness, I do not know, but in this country of individual freedom, we of the opposition must oppose her view of the Constitution.

Has there ever been an election like this? I hope they double up security around Trump.

Rest in Peace, Justice Ginsburg.

:thumbup:

Seeing info McConnell will bring to vote if Trump nominates.  It is not just getting someone in if Senate or Pres goes south in Jan, what if there is vote needed for the actual election mess in Nov.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clearvision said:

Seeing info McConnell will bring to vote if Trump nominates.  It is not just getting someone in if Senate or Pres goes south in Jan, what if there is vote needed for the actual election mess in Nov.

If you thought Brett Kavanaugh was bad..Just Wait,

If Trump nominates someone before the election, get ready to hear the name Merrick Garland about 38,719 times a day.

• Like 1

How Does Ginsburg’s Death Affect the Race?

John Hinderaker

September 18, 2020

As Steve has noted, Ruth Ginsburg died today. Steve said that we would be back tomorrow with more thoughts, so I am jumping the gun. Here are some preliminary observations:

1) I think President Trump will nominate Amy Barrett to fill the vacancy, and will do so quickly.

2) I think Mitch McConnell will schedule hearings to take place soon.

3) The Supreme Court has always been a winning issue for conservatives. That will be true again. The Democrats will have a hard time attacking Barrett (or, I assume, anyone else Trump might nominate). The issue will be a net plus for the president, unless Republican senators betray him.

4) Republican senators may betray the president. Lisa Murkowski, for example:

(Snip)

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Brett Kavanaugh Is a ‘Very Decent’ Man

John McCormack

July 25, 2019

The liberal star of the Supreme Court praises the character and intellect of Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh:

On Wednesday night, Ginsburg delivered a 30-minute speech looking back at the 2018 Supreme Court term and Stevens’s life, before participating in an hour-long question-and-answer session with Duke Law professor Neil Siegel, one of her former clerks. When Siegel asserted during the Q&A that “nominees for the Supreme Court are not chosen primarily anymore for independence, legal ability, [and] personal decency, and I wonder if that’s a loss for all of us,” Ginsburg immediately defended Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh. “My two newest colleagues are very decent, very smart individuals,” she said.

Does this mean the Notorious RBG is no longer a liberal in good standing? Or does she get a pass under the theory that she needs to butter up her colleagues to protect Roe?

Blue Checks Vow Violence If McConnell Tries to Replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg: ‘Burn the Entire F**king Thing Down’

Blue check leftists on Twitter vowed violence in America if Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) attempts to replace Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died Friday night at age 87.

Leftist writer Reza Aslan tweeted: “If they even TRY to replace RBG we burn the entire f%#%@#$ thing down.”:snip:

Sen Lisa Murkowski Has Said She Will Not Vote On Any Supreme Court Nominee Until After The Inauguration

Republican Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski has said she would not vote to replace a Supreme Court justice until after the inauguration.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died Friday evening at her home at the age of 87. Murkowski, a pro-choice moderate from Alaska, is often a swing vote in the Senate.

“When Republicans held off Merrick Garland because nine months prior to the election was too close, we needed to let the people decide,” Murkowski said in August, according to The Hill. “And I agreed to do that. If we say now that months prior to the election is OK when nine months is not, that is a double standard and I don’t believe we should do it.”:snip:

12 minutes ago, Geee said:

McConnell: Trump's Supreme Court nominee 'will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate'

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said unequivocally Friday night that President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee to fill the vacancy of late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg “will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate.”:snip:

MY MAN MITCH! :thumbup:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The political ramifications of a political jurist

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died Friday night after 27 years on the United States Supreme Court. I’m ignoring the Romans warning de mortuis nil nisi bonum (of the dead, say nothing but good). Ginsburg used her seat on the Supreme Court as a political office and, reputedly, her dying wish was political. The politicization of her Supreme Court seat and the political fallout from her death are, therefore, appropriate topics.

Unlike me, the usual leftists who loved her too much (as well as a few Republicans who ought to know better) think that the best encomium for Ginsburg is that she “fought” for “justice and equality”:

That praise -- that she “fought” for “justice and equality” -- sums up everything that was wrong with Ginsburg for it describes a political activist, not a judge. The Supreme Court is supposed to consist of nine people who try, apolitically, to ensure that the United States is run along constitutional lines.

Ginsburg, though, had little love for the Constitution. She was quite open about that in 2012 when she offered some “helpful” advice to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt as it was contemplating the Egyptian Constitution of 2012:

“I would not look to the U.S. Constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012,” Ginsburg said in an interview on Al Hayat television last Wednesday. “I might look at the constitution of South Africa. That was a deliberate attempt to have a fundamental instrument of government that embraced basic human rights, have an independent judiciary. It really is, I think, a great piece of work that was done.”:snip:

Read: Supreme Court's statement on Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death

Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died this evening surrounded by her family at her home in Washington, D.C., due to complications of metastatic pancreas cancer. She was 87 years old. Justice Ginsburg was appointed to the Supreme Court by President Clinton in 1993. She was the second woman appointed to the Court and served more than 27 years. She is survived by her two children: Jane Carol Ginsburg (George Spera) and James Steven Ginsburg (Patrice Michaels), four grandchildren: Paul Spera (Francesca Toich), Clara Spera (Rory Boyd), Miranda Ginsburg, Abigail Ginsburg, two step-grandchildren: Harjinder Bedi, Satinder Bedi, and one greatgrandchild: Lucrezia Spera. Her husband, Martin David Ginsburg, died in 2010. 

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. said of Justice Ginsburg: “Our Nation has lost a jurist of historic stature. We at the Supreme Court have lost a cherished colleague. Today we mourn, but with confidence that future generations will remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg as we knew her -- a tireless and resolute champion of justice.”   :snip:

5 Ruth Bader Ginsburg Supreme Court rulings to know about

Ruth Bader Ginsburg served on the bench of the highest court for over two decades before she passed away Friday from complications of cancer.

She became the second woman appointed to the Supreme Court in 1993 by President Bill Clinton after a career defined by fighting for women's reproductive rights, gender equality and other progressive causes. Prior to becoming a judge, she worked as a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union and as its General Counsel from 1973–1980.

Over her years on the bench, she's been part of some notable rulings.

Below is a list of five that includes:

United States v. Virginia

Ginsburg wrote the majority opinion that ended single-sex admission at the Virginia Military Institute. The school argued that women were not suited to train at the academy or endure its education model.

Furthermore, it argued that its exclusive admissions policy was in line with other educational institutions in the state. It cited Mary Baldwin University, a women's liberal arts college.

The United States filed a lawsuit against the policy, saying it violated the 14th Amendment, which confers citizenship upon anyone born in the U.S.:snip:

Judicial Watch Statement on the Passing of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

(Washington, DC) – Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton made the following statement on the passing of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg:

Judicial Watch sends it condolences to the family of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She had a wonderful judicial temperament that will always be remembered.

President Trump now has a historic opportunity to nominate yet another constitutional conservative who will honor the Constitution and the rule of law across the full spectrum of constitutional issues.

And the U.S. Senate should move quickly to work with President Trump to consider and approve a new justice who will faithfully apply the U.S. Constitution. There is no reason we cannot have a new justice by Election Day.

Here’s who might succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death on Friday at 87 is sure to spark a battle over who will fill her seat.

Here are some of the judges who could be in line to succeed her on the high court, should President Trump choose to nominate someone:

Amy Coney Barrett

A judge on the US Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, Barrett was on Trump’s shortlist for his second Supreme Court nomination, which ultimately went to Justice Brett Kavanaugh in 2018.

A graduate of Notre Dame University Law School, she clerked for the late conservative Justice Antonin Scalia and then spent two decades as a law professor at Notre Dame.

Barrett, 48, is a favorite of the religious right, and her deep ties to her Catholic faith earned her a grilling from Democrats during her confirmation hearings to the federal bench. California Sen. Dianne Feinstein memorably told her: “The dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s a concern.”

Barrett responded: “It’s never appropriate for a judge to impose that judge’s personal convictions, whether they arise from faith or anywhere else, on the law.”:snip:

Some of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s most memorable quotes

The fierce yet diminutive Brooklyn-born jurist was never afraid to speak her mind, whether on issues she held dear, such as feminism and justice, or about life and her views of society in general.

Here are some of memorable quotes that help to shape her legacy:

“My mother told me two things constantly. One was to be a lady, and the other was to be independent.” — as quoted by the ACLU.

“The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people; that public discussion is a political duty; and that this should be a fundamental principle of the American government.”— from her 2012 book “My Own Words.:snip: