Arizona GOP Sen. Martha McSally says she was 'preyed upon and then raped' in Air Force by superior officer

Valin

arizona-gop-sen-martha-mcsally-says-she-was-raped-in-air-force-by-a-superior-officer

Gregg Re

Mar 6 2019

Sen. Martha McSally, the first female fighter pilot to fly in combat, disclosed during an emotional Senate hearing on Wednesday she was "preyed upon and then raped" in the Air Force by a superior officer.

The Arizona Republican, who served 26 years in the Air Force, made the disclosure during a Senate hearing on sexual assault allegations in the military. McSally said she didn't report the assault because she didn't trust the system, and was ashamed and confused.

“My drive to fight against sexual assault in the ranks is not from the outside looking in," McSally began. "And it is deeply personal."

McSally said that during her military career, she was "greatly privileged to prepare and then lead my amazing Airmen in combat, which is the apex responsibility of any warrior leader."

But, McSally added that she had also "witnessed so many weaknesses in the processes involving sexual assault prevention, investigation, and adjudication," which motivated her "to make recommendations to Air Force leaders, shaped my approach as a commander, and informed my advocacy for change while I remained in the military and since I have been in Congress."

(Snip)

__________________________________________________________________________________