On Holocaust Remembrance Day, channel the spirit of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

Valin

on-holocaust-remembrance-day-channel-the-spirit-of-the-warsaw-ghetto-uprising

Beth Bailey

January 27, 2019

On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, we are called to consider the 6 million Jewish and 5 million non-Jewish victims of Nazi genocide during World War II. Given the disturbing trend of rising anti-Semitism at home, and in countries such as Canada, France, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Australia, it is especially critical that we make the effort to recollect the Holocaust’s horrifying history.

It is impossible to tell a condensed history of the Holocaust, which contains an accumulation of the individual and group experiences of oppressed, oppressors, and those on the periphery of Germany’s maddening descent into genocide. Some parts of that history, however, inform well on the whole, like that of the uprisings in the Warsaw ghetto, which remind us of the incredible spirit with which Warsaw’s Jews prepared for, and fought, impossible battles when they became aware of the fate the Nazis planned for them.

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________

OTOH

P.I.-turned Nazi hunter blames passive Jewish leaders for the 99.9% who got away

(Snip)

Presenting himself as a young, clean-cut, strapping man in suit and tie, Rambam gathered these stories throughout the 1990s, clipboard and tape recorder in hand. Told at length to the ostensible foreign university scholar, they came from Nazi war criminals who had been living comfortable lives on foreign soil for several decades, unashamed to use their real names, unashamed to speak openly about what they did.

The first person Rambam interviewed and recorded was a police chief from Lithuania, Antanas Kenstavicius, who, with other men, murdered 5,000 Jews in six days, including children, in the town of Ignalina.

Kenstavicius locked them in stables with no food or water, and later took them to a ditch and shot them, according to Rambam’s records. Pleased to discuss it openly with “Romano,” Kenstavicius, the gracious host, laid out cake and schnapps for his guest at his home in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

kenstavicius-640x400.jpg

Antanas Kenstavicius helped murder thousands of Jews in less than a week in Ignalina, Lithuania during the Holocaust. (Courtesy)

“I had no doubt that if he knew who I was … that they would love to make it 5,001,” Rambam said. “I knew that all of these people were armed.”

One answer sliced right into Rambam’s gut. When he asked whether anyone fought back, the Nazi’s wife, Stella — an accomplice — jumped in: “They were like lambs.”

He paused the investigation for a few days to mentally regroup.

(Snip)

Holocaust Remembrance Day

John Hinderaker

January 27, 2019

Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. As one of Power Line’s Gentile contingent, I feel that the day shouldn’t go unrecognized. But what to say about it? A few things–modestly, I hope.

First, anti-Semitism is back again. Apparently there are some anti-Semites associated with the right, although I can’t say that I have ever encountered one. Respectable anti-Semitism exists only, as far as I know, on the left. Jeremy Corbyn and Ilhan Omar exemplify the anti-Semitic left in England and the U.S., respectively. But the rot goes much deeper.

There is a reason why the Labour party is happy to have a blatantly anti-Semitic, pro-terrorist leader as its shadow Prime Minister. On the left, there is considerable support for those hateful views, and not much opposition. Likewise, there is a reason why Democrats like Chuck Schumer–himself a Jew–has nothing bad to say about the endorsement of the “Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions” movement by Ilhan Omar and other young Democrats who have captured the imagination of the party’s rank and file. The future of the Democratic Party lies with the likes of Ilhan Omar and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, not Schumer and his ilk. And Schumer knows it.

Speaking for myself, I couldn’t have imagined thirty years ago that anti-Semitism would ever again be a live issue. But in 2019 it is, thanks to the left.

(Snip)

Finally, all of the above pales in the context of the unique horror of the Holocaust. “Never again” is the motto of Holocaust remembrance. I don’t think anything like the Holocaust will happen in our lifetimes, if only because there are quite a few Gentiles who would go to the wall rather than see fellow citizens massacred without protest. But the evil impulses that gave rise to the Holocaust haven’t gone away. We struggle against them daily. So, in the current highly ambiguous environment, we celebrate Holocaust Remembrance Day, 2019.