Apocalypse Not

Valin

apocalypse-not.php

Steven Hayward

Dec. 17 2018

As everyone knows, climate orthodoxy holds that climate change from carbon emissions is going to make extreme weather more extreme. So I won’t hold my breath waiting to hear the climatistas commenting on this story from the Bezos Bulletin Washington Post today:

2018 will be the first year with no violent tornadoes in the United States

In the whirlwind that is 2018, there has been a notable lack of high-end twisters.

We’re now days away from this becoming the first year in the modern record with no violent tornadoes touching down in the United States. . . It was a quiet year for tornadoes overall, with below normal numbers most months. Unless you’re a storm chaser, this is not bad news. The low tornado count is undoubtedly a big part of the reason the 10 tornado deaths in 2018 are also vying to be a record low.

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________

From the Comments

Forbes (and others) pointed out five years ago that all forms of extreme weather have decreased (tornados, hurricanes, drought, wildfire, etc.).  The propagandists seize on the extreme weather events that do occur and misrepresent those occurrences as reflective of objective trends, which they are not.  "Extreme weather" as an indicator of climate change is propaganda in lieu of real data.  If, assuming arguendo, extreme weather is proof of the existence or nonexistence of climate change, then there has been no climate change, or alternatively, the climate change that has occurred has been for the better.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/05/08/sorry-global-warmists-but-extreme-weather-events-are-becoming-less-extreme/#3638bde455a4

Anyone notice that the article didn't mention climate change?  

In my opinion, part of the reason too few people see climate change as a threat is that those making the case over state their case.  There was a hurricane lull for a few years after Katrina, but as soon as we had a heavy hurricane year scientists and the media megaphone attributed it to climate change.  

Every article on California's wildfires mentioned climate change.  The fires may have been influenced by climate change.  But evidence for that doesn't come anywhere close to any reasonable standard of proof.

I don't think an increase in violent weather meets any reasonable statistical test (Say alpha = .05).  I do think climate change is very probably very bad.  But it's hard to convince a sceptic when you have to admit half the news on it is statistically illiterate.