Former Federal Proescutor Andrew McCarthy On The 2016 Election Scandal –The Real One

Valin

former-federal-proescutor-andrew-mccarthy-2016-election-scandal-real-one

Hugh Hewitt

Feb. 12 2018

Audio

HH: There is a great deal of confusion in Washington, D.C. about what the Russia scandal means. There are actually two Russia scandals. One involves Russia’s attack on our election, which I don’t dispute, I haven’t disputed from the beginning through Wikileaks, by hacking Podesta’s email, by hacking the DNC, by playing in the election through Fancy Bear. It’s real. It’s a problem. Mueller is on it. There’s a second Russia scandal, though. What did our law enforcement agencies do right or wrong during this election? Did they put their finger on the scale? And to that issue, I’ve asked Andrew C. McCarthy to join me to provide a primer and an overview. Andy is a longtime federal prosecutor. He’s retired now. But let’s begin, Andrew, first of all, thanks for joining me.

(Snip)

HH: Now many in Washington on the conservative side are, have already reached the conclusion that the FBI, aided and abetted perhaps by the CIA and Department of Justice, averted their eyes and did not press Mrs. Clinton on her server while they were in fact retailing the Steele dossier, which they ought not to have done. They should not have imputed credibility, as you’ve made an argument, so that they’ve double sinned. They not only went light on Clinton, they went hard on Trump. I am not there, yet. I have to wait and see. There’s a lot of stuff that has to come out. I’m very bothered by the text messages between Strzok and Page. I’m very bothered by James Comey taking notes on the President after having a conversation with him. I don’t know why they gave him the dossier. It’s a bizarre set of circumstances. What do you think at this point, Andrew, reserving the right to correct and extend the record, you’ll be back a lot if this is going where I think it’s going, what do you think has happened here?

AM: I think that they went light on Clinton, and they went heavier than they ought to have on Trump, although I think with respect to Trump, there’s no indication to me, yet, that they dove in with both feet for no reason. I don’t think the Trump investigation is a fabricated investigation. I think they overdid it. I don’t think they had a basis to do a surveillance on Carter Page. I don’t think there should have been a criminal investigation of Michael Flynn. So I think there were, what’s inexplicable with respect to the two investigation is not that there was not a basis to be curious about what was going on with respect to Trump and Russia. What’s inexplicable is how they bent over backwards not to make the case against Mrs. Clinton and how they seemed to have cut corners in order to try and make a case against Trump.

(Snip)