Washington braces for polarizing Nunes memo

Geee

The classified Republican memo that has become a lightning rod in the battle between Republicans and Democrats over federal surveillance tactics is poised to be released as early as Friday, a move that's likely to start a new battle over what it says about the trustworthiness of the Justice Department and the FBI.
Thursday night, Republicans were still playing up the importance of the memo, after spending weeks hinting that it will show the government used cherry-picked information from Democrats to launch an investigation into Donald Trump's campaign team.:snip:

Battle over Nunes memo tests Congress’ ability to oversee FBI

Rep. Devin Nunes‘ fight to publicly release his memo detailing potential abuses of power at the FBI has turned into a major test for Congress, which is trying to prove it can pierce the veil of secrecy that Republicans say has been used to hide wrongdoing in the government’s security agencies.
The memo from the chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence could be released as soon as Friday, the White House said. President Trump read the document and sided with congressional Republicans who want the information made public.
“The president is OK with it,” a White House official said. “I doubt there will be any redactions. It’s in Congress’ hands after that.”
The decision pits Mr. Trump against FBI Director Christopher Wray, who has pleaded for the document to remain secret. Mr. Wray said the memo presents a skewed picture of his bureau, which secured the warrant that allowed the government to spy on Trump campaign figures in 2016.:snip:

1 hour ago, Valin said:

I had a Bran Muffin and some Prunes yesterday....so I'm Bracing for something today  myself :blink:................film at 11! :D

I'll pass :lmfao:

A NEVER-TRUMP PRESS IN NEAR PANIC

By Pat Buchanan | February 2, 2018

"All the News That's Fit to Print" proclaims the masthead of the New York Times. "Democracy Dies in Darkness," echoes the Washington Post. Explain then this hysteria, this panic in the press over the release of a four-page memo detailing one congressional committee's rendering of how Trump-hate spawned an FBI investigation of Republican candidate and President Donald Trump.

read the full article   :snip:   https://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/a-never-trump-press-in-near-panic/