The Solution to North Korean Aggression No One Is Talking About

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
the-solution-to-north-korean-aggression-no-one-is-talking-about

The Solution to North Korean Aggression No One Is Talking About

How the U.S. can force Pyongyang to the table with the specter of total economic collapse

by Dan Perkins | Updated 10 Aug 2017 at 6:47 AM

When I first suggested writing commentary in support of an embargo of North Korea to several national security experts, they were less than excited about it. They were full of reasons as to why an embargo was a dangerous idea. I understand and appreciate their concern. But the idea is at least worthy of inclusion in the conversation over how to deal with the increasingly aggressive and nuclear regime in Pyongyang.

Any information about North Korea is subject to skepticism because it is a closed society, thus data are not reliable. First, the best estimate for real GDP is about $16 billion. The 100th-largest city in the United States is Reno, Nevada, and it has the same GDP as the entire country of North Korea: $16 billion.     :snip: 

Draggingtree

I bit off topic...but when have i ever let a little thing like that stop me? :D

" According to the Observatory of Economic Complexity, North Korea in 2016 had approximately $3.47 billion in imports and $2.83 billion in exports. Coal represented 34 percent of its exports. The number-one import was oil, at $180 million. China now accounts for 90 percent of all of North Korea’s exports. Coming in at an incredible distance in second place is India, at 3.1 percent."

north-korea-gdp@2x.png?s=northkoregdp&v=

When I was working at The Donaldsons Co. Inc making air filters Donaldsons had 3.6 billion in sales world wide I and 21 other people were responsible for a little over 1 billion dollars in sales. This just puts things in context...and Donaldsons is not even one of the major corporations in America.

Draggingtree

Resolving North Korea Without “Fire and Fury”

Stretching back to Eisenhower, U.S. containment policy created this crisis.

By SCOTT RITTER • August 10, 2017

“They that sow the wind, shall reap the Whirlwind” is a proverbial phrase taken from the Old Testament, the Book of Hosea 8:7, which alludes to the notion that those who pursue false idols shall face the severity of God’s judgment. There is no better phrase that captures the current reality of American arms control policy with North Korea, which for decades has been built on the dual objectives of containment and regime change.

This policy has collapsed in the face of sustained North Korean recalcitrance and defiance; North Korea today has a strategic nuclear weapons capability that is firmly attached to the survival of its regime. Any effort to remove the North Korean regime will result in the employment of these weapons in its defense; any effort to forcefully eliminate these weapons through military force will likewise result in their employment. Given the horrific consequences of any such action, that awful truth is that there simply is no military solution worthy of the name.

It is a little understood reality that it was the United States that first introduced nuclear weapons into the Korean Peninsula and, by including South Korea and Japan in its strategic nuclear umbrella       :snip: