Our largest newspapers would like an anti-trust exemption if you don’t mind

Valin

largest-newspapers-like-anti-trust-exemption-dont-mind

Jazz Shaw

July 13 2017

Some of the nation’s largest newspapers, including the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal have a problem on their hands. They’re having a hard time competing against new media outlets such as Google and Facebook. With that in mind, they are asking Congress to grant them an exemption from existing anti-trust laws so they can negotiate more effectively or something. Nope… I’m not even kidding. (Investors.com)

The New York Times (NYT), Wall Street Journal parent News Corp. (NWSA), The Washington Post (owned by Amazon (AMZN) founder and CEO Jeff Bezos) and other newspapers across the country will seek an antitrust exemption from Congress to bargain collectively with Facebook and Alphabet-unit Google, seeking to “change the balance of power,” the New York Times said Sunday.

Facebook and Google increasingly are where people go to for news online, grabbing much of related ad revenue based on newspapers’ content. With papers trying to adapt to a digital world, but that’s difficult with so much online revenue going to aggregators like Google and Facebook. Various media entities have tried to fight back individually.

The Wall Street Journal in February stopped letting Google users read WSJ articles for free. That drove subscriptions, but traffic from Google plunged 44%, Bloomberg News reported.

(Snip)

The internet changed everything once it picked up a head of steam and that’s just a fact of life that everyone has had to adjust to. (The internet always ruins everything it touches eventually, a running theme of mine for quite some time. But that’s another matter entirely.) If you want to go back to dominating the news game, produce better news content that people will seek out. If you are delivering the best product, be it on your website or traditional fish-wrap, the advertisers will follow the consumers. You don’t need Congress to cut you a special deal.

But if they do, Hot Air should certainly be getting a piece of that action as well. Just saying…

Geee

Someone really should these people its not 1967 anymore and this....................

silicon-chip-source-www-tested-com.jpg

Is changing Everything....including how we get our news, how we communicate...etc.

Not saying its good, not saying its bad, just saying IT IS.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Valin said:

Geee

Someone really should these people its not 1967 anymore and this....................

silicon-chip-source-www-tested-com.jpg

Is changing Everything....including how we get our news, how we communicate...etc.

Not saying its good, not saying its bad, just saying IT IS.

Like I said on the other thread - If I make a bad investment, nobody gives ME my money back. They can afford to Eat it - so tough - take your loses and Shut up!

• Like 1