Trump: I Did Not Record Conversations With James Comey

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
trump-i-did-not-record-conversations-james-comey-n775576

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Thursday tweeted that he did not record his conversations with then-FBI Director James Comey, putting to rest one of the biggest lingering mysteries surrounding the drama between the president and the FBI head he later dismissed.

With all of the recently reported electronic surveillance, intercepts, unmasking and illegal leaking of information, I have no idea...

...whether there are "tapes" or recordings of my conversations with James Comey, but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings.

Trump tweeted in May, shortly after he fired the FBI boss, that Comey “better hope that there are no ‘tapes’” of their conversations.

Media reports surfaced soon after Comey’s firing that revealed the existence of memos detailing conversations between the president and Comey. Trump and Comey spoke several times, both in person and on the phone.

2017-06-22t17-03-26-7z--1280x720.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpgPlay

Trump Tweets He Does Not Have Tapes of Comey Conversations 2:40

The White House dodged questions about the tapes until after Trump’s tweet Thursday. At a White House briefing, Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Sanders did not offer an explanation as to why the president floated the existence of tapes or why he failed to address the allegations for more than a month.

“I think the president's statement via Twitter is extremely clear. I don't have anything to add,” Sanders said.

James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!

She said the president did not regret the tweet that helped spark the appointment of former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel to oversee the Russia investigation.

Comey testified to Congress earlier this month that the prospects of taped conversations between him and Trump spurred him to ask a confidant to alert the New York Times about the existence of the memos. The revelation provided more pressure on the Justice Department to appoint a special counsel to oversee the probe.

________

The tapes that weren't there.

• Like 1