Thoughts from the ammo line

Valin

thoughts-from-the-ammo-line-172.php

Scott Johnson

June 16 2017

By request Ammo Grrrll takes a look at ROAD FOOD in her rearview mirror complete with a sidelong glance at rush hour in the Twin Cities. She writes:

A few weeks ago, commenter John Pilsun suggested that he would like to see a column on interesting road food from my most recent trip from Arizona to Minnesota and back. John, your wish is my command. Column ideas are always welcome, even if it takes awhile.

I contrived to spend my first night in Van Horn, Texas, because of the quaint and delightful little hotel El Capitan, which features one of the best restaurants in the Southwest. If you haven’t tasted their Pistachio-Encrusted Chicken-Fried Steak with Chipotle Gravy, you haven’t lived. Key Lime Pie and the kind of waitresses who call you “Hon” and “Baby Girl.”

(Snip)

The creation of Chef John Sharpe, and once rated by Conde Naste Gold List as “one of the top three restaurants in the U.S.” (2009), it was easily one of the 10 best meals I’ve ever had in my life. And the breakfast the next morning – Orange Crepes, Turkey Sausage and Baked Eggs – was equally memorable. Google it, friends.

So that’s about it, John. We drove home by 2:00 p.m. and I had half a Peanut Butter Sammich and promptly began my latest– not to be confused with, last — diet. Sigh. I think I’ve gained 3 lbs. just from writing this column!

• Like 2