True Greatness

Valin

true-greatness

John Schroeder

Apr. 30 2017

A good bit of the nation has a little spring in its step.  We seem to be well on the road to a renewal of our economic might, our diplomatic skill and our military strength.  But as I have said in several posts now, to really make America great again we need more.  There have been many mighty, skilled and strong nations that history has judged as less than great.  In fact history is replete with with mighty, skilled and strong nations that have been evil actors either towards their populace or on the world stage.  To be a great nation we need a national character that ensures our might, skill and strength are put to good use.

It would be easy to write off the wild gyrations and protestations of the Left in recent weeks to their “death throes,” but the fact that we are letting them get away with these shenanigans  raises my concerns about character.  Speeches are being cancelled in Berkeley and parades in Portland.  We seem to lack the resolve to stand up to these people – a character failing.  David French calls the people in Berkeley “cowards.”  Certainly a character failing.  A very significant portion of Republicans see freedom of the press as a problem.  This is not so much a character failing as it is a failing at what underlies character – values.  At a time when we are winning on so many levels, we seem to be failing on the character and value level. We will never be a great nation again unless we achieve success on all levels.

I have been arguing that we will only be great again when Christianity is restored to a position of influence in the nation.  The idea of national character the biggest of the “why’s” I think that.  Christianity is the source of our national values, even absent a national theology, and as we have said values are the root of character.  I have also been arguing for a long time now that Christianity’s loss of influence is Christianity’s fault, not the nations.  Our influence was not taken from us, we sacrificed it.  We have made that sacrifice in a thousand ways, big and small, over decades.  But the important question now is how do we reclaim it?  I have two suggestions for this Sunday morning, one practical and one more spiritual in nature.

Practically speaking we need to stop letting the jerks win..............(Snip)