Jeh Johnson gives Michael McCaul vote of confidence on border security

Geee

jeh-johnson-gives-michael-mccaul-vote-confidence-bWashington Times:

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson gave one of his potential successors a stamp of approval on Wednesday, saying Rep. Michael McCaul is the strongest member of Congress when it comes to border security.

Mr. Johnson and Mr. McCaul were responding to criticisms reported in The Washington Times from advocates for stricter enforcement of immigration laws who said they hoped President-elect Donald Trump picked someone else to be homeland security chief.

Mr. McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said the barbs were misplaced and said he has spent his career in Congress trying to get a handle on illegal immigration.

“To say somehow I am not strong on immigration is laughable because, whether it’s sanctuary cities to every vote on the floor of the House, I have strongly voted against illegal immigration,” he said at a forum at the Bipartisan Policy Center. “I have co-sponsored virtually every bill. I introduced the SAFE Act, which would stop the flow of Syrian refugees into this country. I also strongly support the Secure Fence Act.”

Mr. McCaul is one of those vying for the top job at Homeland Security, and he was in New York on Tuesday meeting with Mr. Trump. He’s also helping with the transition team that is preparing to reverse a number of Obama administration immigration policies.Scissors-32x32.png