House Democrats delay leadership elections in blow to Pelosi

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
house-democrats-meet-after-2016-election-231402Politico:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi agreed Tuesday morning to delay Democratic leadership elections until after Thanksgiving following an outcry from several dozen members who said they needed more time to assess last week's devastating election.

Rank-and-file Democrats will now vote for their leaders on Wednesday, Nov. 30.

The move is a blow to Pelosi, who has been the top House Democrat for a dozen years. While no one has come forward yet to challenge her — Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) is weighing a bid but not formally declared - and there is no sign she wants to do anything other than continue in her current role, the next two weeks will now be a debate about Pelosi's future.

Immediately after the Nov. 8 election, Pelosi suggested moving the date of leadership elections back. But then she settled on Thursday after what she said was an outpouring of support from her colleagues to move ahead.

"I was ready to go with after Thanksgiving because I didn’t want the new members to be spending all their time worrying about who they are going to vote for this, that or the other thing," Pelosi told her colleagues, according to aide in the room. "Then, many of the members were saying, 'Why are you delaying the elections?' And the press was picking that up. 'Why are you delaying the elections?' I’m not delaying it."

________

Democratic regrouping.