The Election Is Over — Now, Trump Must Govern

Valin

donald-trump-victory-promises-will-be-hard-keepNational Review:

When Trump tries to keep his campaign promises, some of his supporters are likely to be disappointed.

Jonah Goldberg

November 11, 2016

Dear Reader (including the many of you who are apparently disappointed I didn’t spontaneously combust on election night),

Last week I wrote, “Long ago, I made peace with the fact that this election will yield one form of ass ache or another.”

So, I fully expected to wake up the day after the election depressed and walking like the proctologist refused to take off the catcher’s mitt. Instead, to my gleeful surprise and my detractors’ apparent dyspeptic dismay, I’m in a great mood.

When I took out my laptop this morning to peck out my epistolary musings, it was like the sound track to Born Free was playing in the background.

Part of it is, obviously, the unbridled joy I feel at seeing the fetid carapace of House Clinton torn down. To have the country say to these conniving mercenaries “Pack your knives and go” will have me whistling zippity-doo-dah out of my nethers for a very long time. I always wanted Hillary to lose (and my predictions about her electoral vulnerabilities were, if I do say so myself, exactly right). I was just discomfited by the ramification of Trump winning.

But there’s something else going on.

(Snip)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

From The Comments

John Butala

I was never NeverTrump, but I dislike him intensely. However, at the last moment in the polling booth the thought of Hillary Clinton as president was too much, and I inked in Trump's oval.

I admit to taking great pleasure in the sadness of the Clinton attendees at the Javits building and rooting for Trump to go over 270.

I just hope he can deliver on one third of all the promises he made and doesn't deliver on one third of all the promises he made.

I don't expect a lot from him....but after eight years of a lawless dictator, simply enforcing existing laws (especially on immigration) will be nice.

And now for the GREAT!!! news.....NO MORE HILLARY AND BILL STINKING UP THE JOINT!!!! Now that's something to cheer for.

and this........................

John Marino

Pathetic response by Goldberg. You and your Neoconservative pals have been totally wrong on everything. We have rejected you, hopefully forever. It is time to move on to make America great again. America First always.

Doug Mieritz · University of Wisconsin-Madison

You have unwittingly proven his point.

• Like 1