Paul Ryan: The choice facing America

Valin

choice-facing-america-ryanCNN:

Paul Ryan

Sun November 6, 2016

(CNN)This election offers a fundamental choice: between staying on the current path of decline, or taking a better way that offers more freedom for every single American.

Only Republicans are offering a better way. A unified Republican government will dedicate itself to reclaiming our founding principles and solving the country's problems. This is not just a vague promise -- we have put on paper the details for how we will address the big challenges of the day. It's a six-point plan called "A Better Way":

(Snip)

Over the last five weeks, I have traveled to nearly 25 states and more than 50 cities. I know we are ready to revitalize the American Idea, so that the condition of your birth does not determine the outcome of your life. We have a historic chance to save our country from decline and put it back on the right track. Now we have to act on it.

So go to better.gop and take a look at what a unified Republican government can get you. And then vote Republican -- Donald Trump, our Senate candidates and our House candidates -- so we can start turning things around. If Republicans do not turn out -- if we sit this one out -- we will open the door not just to Hillary Clinton but also a Democratic Congress eager to give her a blank check.

That's what we get if we don't win: more scandal, and more of the same.

Choose a better way. Vote Republican.

mdspinboyredux

I think that Ryan's article rings terribly hollow for a couple reasons.

As an strident anti-Trumper, I blame mindless GOP-ism for his rise. Many of us voted in the mid-terms for the party to repeal Obamacare and to promote a much more fiscally responsible government. Neither materialized. Instead of living up to their promises, Boehner, McConnell and later Ryan betrayed the very people who gave them the mandate to make that change. Obamacare was funded and now we are left to pay the cost.

We cannot continue with the "where else will you go?" mentality when trying to hold our own to account.

We will most likely lose this election, because we have nominated the equivalent of Christine O'Donnell or Todd Akin as our standard bearer. But make no mistake, it is because of those like Ryan who created this monster in the first place.