Job, Cleveland and this Election Cycle

Valin

job-cleveland-election-cycleHugh Hewitt Blog:

John Schroeder

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Every life is marked by good times and bad times. As I look back on my life I can name extraordinarily good years – the year I got married, my senior year in high school. I can also name a few extraordinarily bad ones – most notably from my elementary school days the one (and thankfully only) year we lived in Cleveland, OH. The details are simply too painful to recount, but it was indeed miserable. It is a story worthy of Job.

This election cycle has felt a lot like that year in Cleveland. My life generally is pretty good, but this election not so much. Story after story points out very high levels of voter unhappiness in this cycle. The candidates are busy trying to spin that unhappiness as being about the other party or candidate, but it’s not – it’s about them. We all stare at this election and sound remarkably like Elijah at Horeb:

(Snip)

We look at what is happening and we do feel alone, as if we are the only people left in the nation with any common sense whatsoever. I have talked to dozens of people that have said something just like that. But wait, there is a rather rich irony there – if I have talked to dozens of people, then obviously I am far from alone. God said something pretty similar to Elijah:

“Yet I will leave 7,000 in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal and every mouth that has not kissed him.”

And the good news does not stop there.

(Snip)

I know that does not solve the problem of how to vote, now just little more than a week away. What I am trying to say is that it does not need to. God has set the course and it cannot be changed. Make a decision to the best of your ability and know that God will accomplish His purpose regardless. And that purpose is good.

I left Cleveland after only a year and God restored Job. We may have bad seasons, but they end.