Rolling Stone defamation trial over UVA gang rape story begins

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
rolling-stone-defamation-trial-over-uva-gang-rape-story-begins.htmlFox News:

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The woman who claimed she was gang raped in a now-discredited story in Rolling Stone magazine said the University of Virginia dean who counseled her after she came forward about her alleged assault "did everything right," an attorney said Tuesday.

The attorney's comment came during the opening of a $7.85 million defamation trial against the magazine over its November 2014 story "A Rape on Campus." It was the first time that any portion of the deposition from the woman identified in the article only as "Jackie" has been publicly revealed.

University administrator Nicole Eramo claims the article cast her as the "chief villain" who sought to protect the school by discouraging Jackie from reporting her alleged assault to police.

Eramo's attorney said Jackie's remarks contradict the magazine's portrayal of the dean as indifferent. Attorney Tom Clare read part of Jackie's deposition aloud in court.

"I never felt like she suppressed my sexual assault," Jackie said in the deposition. "I personally thought that she did everything right."

The jury will get to watch a video of Jackie's deposition, but it will not be shown to the public, according to Libby Locke, another attorney for Eramo. Jackie's last name has not been released by the court and she will not take the stand.

________

Liars on trial.