In Defense of Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize for Literature—He Deserves it!

Geee

in-defense-of-bob-dylans-nobel-prize-for-literature-he-deserves-itPJ Media:

I was toying with the idea of writing my column on the awarding of the Nobel Prize in Literature to Bob Dylan when I read our colleague Andrew Klavan’s column, in which he argues that the award is an example of how our culture is entering “a spiral of decadence.” Andrew's assessment made it a topic I could not avoid, and hence I now write to defend the Nobel committe's choice.

Essentially, Klavan's argument is that while Dylan wrote some good songs, they are not literature, especially great literature. He compares it to the farce of Barack Obama receiving a Nobel Peace Prize before he had a chance to do anything. I would argue that Obama’s unearned award is not a reason for believing Dylan does not deserve one. Dylan, after all, has a huge body of work with which to appraise his contribution to literature. He did not win the award having only written "Blowin' in the Wind."Scissors-32x32.png

• 2 weeks later...

'I was left speechless': Bob Dylan breaks two-week silence over Nobel prize

Bob Dylan was left speechless by the news that he was to be awarded the Nobel prize for literature, he has said, breaking more than two weeks of silence since the announcement.

The artist was criticised as “arrogant” by a prominent member of the academy that awards the prize last week, having failed to respond to repeated calls. Even a brief acknowledgement of the award was removed from his website soon after it appeared.

But, in a call with Sara Danius, the permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, Dylan said: “I appreciate the honour so much,” adding: “The news about the Nobel prize left me speechless.”

And, in a separate interview with the Daily Telegraph – his first since the award – he said he would “absolutely” attend an award ceremony “if it’s at all possible”. Dylan told the paper: “It’s hard to believe … amazing, incredible. Whoever dreams about something like that?”Scissors-32x32.png

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/29/im-speechless-says-nobel-winner-bob-dylan-as-he-breaks-his-two-week-silence