Medieval America

Geee

2016-economic-cultural-dynamics-west-echo-medieval-europeNational Review:

Free thought was not prized at universities, and wealthy lords ruled over their inferiors. Are we talking about then or now?

Pessimists often compare today’s troubled America to a tottering late Rome or an insolvent and descending British Empire. But medieval Europe (roughly A.D. 500 to 1450) is the more apt comparison.

The medieval world was a nearly 1,000-year period of spectacular, if haphazard, human achievement — along with endemic insecurity, superstition, and two, rather than three, classes.

The great medieval universities — at Bologna, Paris, and Oxford — continued to make strides in science. They were not unlike the medical and engineering schools at Harvard and Stanford. But they were not centers of free thinking.

Instead, medieval speech codes were designed to ensure that no one questioned the authority of church doctrine. Culturally or politically incorrect literature of the classical past, from Aristophanes to Petronius, was censored as either subversive or hurtful. Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

@Valin - that was great!!!

I wonder what will be written about us today in (say) 500 years?

I wonder what the world might be in 500 yearsblink.png

Said someone in 1516. biggrin.png

BTW

i_still_want_my_flying_car_poster_16x20-

• Like 1