I was reported for gender misconduct for calling myself handsome in class

Valin

i-was-reported-for-gender-misconduct-for-calling-myself-handsome-in-class-2611The Tab:

Columbia put me through ‘re-education’ for telling a joke

Benjamin Sweetwood

Oct 1 2016

Now I’ve graduated from Columbia University, I am finally ready to reveal a dark and shameful secret I have kept buried for almost two years: I am the living manifestation of the evil white male cis patriarchy. I, Ben Sweetwood, committed “gender misconduct” while a student at the above mentioned institution of higher learning.

I was in Chinese class in the Fall of 2014. I was a bit of a jokester in class, though also a good student, so it’s not like I didn’t make contributions to the class. Often we had to use new vocabulary or sentence structures to make up our own sentences.

One somber autumn morning, I took the opportunity to call myself handsome in Chinese. Wǒ hěn shuài, I uttered in my unchecked malevolence and without care for cultural norms or general moral principles. I know you must be too aghast to read on at this point, but please, bear with me, so that this kind of horrific statement never sees the light of day again.

(Snip)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

H/T Jonah Goldberg