Minnesota mall attack: Man shot dead after stabbing 8 people

Valin

index.htmlCNN:

Faith Karimi and Joe Sutton,CNN

Updated 6:36 AM ET, Sun September 18, 2016

(CNN)A man wearing a private security company uniform stabbed eight people at a Minnesota mall before an off-duty police officer shot him dead, authorities said. Seven of the wounded were treated and released, while one victim remains hospitalized.

None of their injuries are life-threatening, St. Cloud Police chief William B. Anderson said. Witnesses said the man entered Crossroads Mall on Saturday night, made a reference to Allah and asked at least one person if they were Muslims before he attacked, police said in a statement.

The stabbings occurred in multiple locations inside the mall, including in the common area and several stores. The mall has security teams on site but they are not armed.

(Snip)

Suspect dead, 3 hospitalized after Crossroads stabbings
8:55 a.m. CDT September 18, 2016

Eight people were injured and the suspect died at Crossroads Center on Saturday after an attack reported about 8:15 p.m.

St. Cloud Police Chief Blair Anderson said the victims were stabbed by a man dressed in a private security uniform.

An off-duty police officer from another jurisdiction shot and killed the attacker, Anderson said. Anderson did not say where that officer serves during the news conference that started after midnight.

According to St. Cloud Mayor Dave Kleis, the shooting happened inside Macy's.

(Snip)

I guess we are not to infer anything from his allah reference.

This one is going to be especially hard for Minnesota police to figure out.

index.html:

(CNN)A man wearing a private security company uniform stabbed eight people at a Minnesota mall before an off-duty police officer shot him dead, authorities said. Seven of the wounded were treated and released, while one victim remains hospitalized.

None of their injuries are life-threatening, St. Cloud Police chief William B. Anderson said. Witnesses said the man entered Crossroads Mall on Saturday night, made a reference to Allah and asked at least one person if they were Muslims before he attacked, police said in a statement.

The stabbings occurred in multiple locations inside the mall, including in the common area and several stores. The mall has security teams on site but they are not armed.

(Snip)

Of what use is an unarmed security team?!!

index.html:

(Snip)

Of what use is an unarmed security team?!!

dry.png .....dry.png ....dry.png Not much.

OTOH You Get What You Pay For

Around $28,000 a year in St Cloud.

So he is Somali. Not sure if a refuge or child of one. I think he US has another 10K or so headed up that way with their current plans.

Minneapolis Star Tribune Blames 'Anti-Muslim Tensions' for St. Cloud Mass Stabbing by 'Soldier of the Islamic State'

Just hours after a young Somali immigrant stabbed nine people at a shopping mall in St. Cloud, a mid-sized town in central Minnesota, the far-Left Minneapolis Star Tribune published an article hinting that the suspect may have been inspired by "anti-Muslim tensions." The article was later scrubbed and replaced with a new article that directly raised the question of whether the attack by Dahir Adan was motivated by previous anti-Muslim incidents in the city.

Last night I reported here at PJ Media on the stabbing attack and the reports from local St. Cloud police that the suspect, who at that time hadn't been named, had made references to "Allah" and asked at least one victim whether they were Muslim.

Earlier today, family members named Dahir Adan, a local Somali man who came to the United States 15 years ago and was a junior at St. Cloud State University, as the attacker.

But at 2:42 p.m. today, Pat Pheifer of the Star Tribune published an article, now removed and replaced on the newspaper's website, titled "Anti-Muslim Tension Isn't New in St. Cloud."

I screen captured the article before it was scrubbed and replaced.Scissors-32x32.png

https://pjmedia.com/homeland-security/2016/09/18/minneapolis-star-tribune-blames-anti-muslim-tensions-for-st-cloud-mass-stabbing-by-soldier-of-the-islamic-state/

Minneapolis Star Tribune Blames 'Anti-Muslim Tensions' for St. Cloud Mass Stabbing by 'Soldier of the Islamic State'

Oh I Find That Hard To Believe! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Tone-Deaf Governor Calls for 'Tolerance' After ISIS Stabbing

That word, "tolerance," may not mean what Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton thinks it does. The Democrat responded over the weekend to a stabbing attack which left nine people injured at a mall in St. Cloud. From WCCO:

Authorities say the suspect, who has yet to be identified, attacked several shoppers at the Crossroads Center mall on Saturday night. Police say he mentioned Allah and asked at least one victim if they were Muslim.

“If true that [the stabbings] were motivated by religious bigotry, I condemn them even more strongly,” the governor said in a press release Sunday.

Scissors-32x32.png

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/09/19/tone-deaf-governor-calls-for-tolerance-after-isis-stabbing/

• 3 weeks later...

“You Won’t Be Seeing Me Again”
Mitch Berg
Oct. 7 2016

The FBI released the details of their initial investigation into the Saint Cloud mall mass stabbing last month, including the first public look at the store video. MPR News covered it.

Warning; the video is graphic, if you haven’ been completely desensitized to violence:

The investigators also praised Jason Falconer.

(Snip)

So – an expert marksman (and cop) fires ten shots at contact range, and misses four times (which is actually abnormally good, even for point-blank range engagements); he scores six hits, during most of which the attacker kept charging.

If the shooter had been less expert, and hit the attacker fewer times? If the attacker had been high, or dissociative? If the defender had a smaller-caliber firearm (Falconer’s pistol was a 9mm)? If the defender didn’t have any unobstructive, flat, clean room to back-pedal away from a charging man with two knives?

If there’d been more than one attacker?

Even with a “large” magazine, a defender in that situation could very well have learned what a Thanksgiving turkey feels like.

The lesson for the law-abiding gun owner?

No compromise. No retreat. No surrender.

None.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Larger point is Real Life is not like the movies. Hitting someone with a handgun from 50 feet...ain't gonna happen! Also Rate of Fire Is Your Friend & Practice....Practice....Practice. As the old saying goes "The More You Sweat In Training...The Less You Bleed In Combat."

• Like 1

“You Won’t Be Seeing Me Again”

Mitch Berg

Oct. 7 2016

The FBI released the details of their initial investigation into the Saint Cloud mall mass stabbing last month, including the first public look at the store video. MPR News covered it.

Warning; the video is graphic, if you haven’ been completely desensitized to violence:

The investigators also praised Jason Falconer.

(Snip)

So – an expert marksman (and cop) fires ten shots at contact range, and misses four times (which is actually abnormally good, even for point-blank range engagements); he scores six hits, during most of which the attacker kept charging.

If the shooter had been less expert, and hit the attacker fewer times? If the attacker had been high, or dissociative? If the defender had a smaller-caliber firearm (Falconer’s pistol was a 9mm)? If the defender didn’t have any unobstructive, flat, clean room to back-pedal away from a charging man with two knives?

If there’d been more than one attacker?

Even with a “large” magazine, a defender in that situation could very well have learned what a Thanksgiving turkey feels like.

The lesson for the law-abiding gun owner?

No compromise. No retreat. No surrender.

None.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Larger point is Real Life is not like the movies. Hitting someone with a handgun from 50 feet...ain't gonna happen! Also Rate of Fire Is Your Friend & Practice....Practice....Practice. As the old saying goes "The More You Sweat In Training...The Less You Bleed In Combat."

For most CCW shooters, it boils down to the largest caliber you can accurately shoot. Large caliber usually means fewer rounds, but more knockdown/stopping power. It's never about finishing off your attacker...it is about winning the fight, but in a self-defense situation, the goal is to end the attack and allow retreat. Even in these scenario's...it is advised that your retreat not be straight line, and utilizing zig-zag movement, cover & concealment. That being said, if your life is in danger...and 21 feet or less from a knife attacker is extreme peril...slow center mass is desired, but not always possible. You shoot until the attack stops. Double tapping is for the movies & in real life...will put you in the courtroom, where you will most likely be charged with a felony shooting. There are some really effective 9mm self-defense rounds available...but I believe you should never go any lower than ammo that begins with a 4, as in ( 40S&W / 44sp. / 44mag. / .45ACP or Long Colt) JMO

BTW: I practice at 10, 15 & 20 feet. Plinking at longer ranges than that is fun, but I know I couldn't hit anything well after 30ft. The saying is that, "you use a handgun to fight your way to a long gun."

@SrWoodchuck

BTW: I practice at 10, 15 & 20 feet. Plinking at longer ranges than that is fun, but I know I couldn't hit anything well after 30ft. The saying is that, "you use a handgun to fight your way to a long gun."

I'm 25' from my target with a SW38, strong cross wind, I'm hitting the target next to mine...sometimes. biggrin.png

That's why I always liked the M203..close enough is good enough with a 40mm grenade.

• Like 1