Disbar Laurence Tribe (Update)

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

disbar-laurence-tribe:

Disbar Laurence Tribe (Update)

25 Comments

In the constellation of stars hovering over Harvard Law School, Laurence Tribe’s burns bright. A constitutional law professor of great renown, he’s also gained some traction by having argued 35 cases before the United States Supreme Court. So make fun of academics all you want, Tribe is no slouch.

Which made this twit all the more inexplicable and bizarre:

I have notes of when Trump phoned me for legal advice in 1996. I'm now figuring out whether our talk was privileged.

My initial reaction was one of shock that someone of Tribe’s stature would ask a question that any first year could answer with his eyes closed.
, “It just doesn’t seem possible that a Harvard law professor would ask this.” Upon further deliberation, however, my reaction was inadequate.

Following my responsive twit, essentially every lawyer on the twitters, plus a good number of non-lawyers, reacted as I did. Trace Rabern said it first, “the answer is in the question.” While it wasn’t a question of privilege, since that’s a testimonial issue (worth 2 points on a 1L professional responsibility quiz), but one of client confidences, it was obvious. Any information disclosed by a person seeking legal advice is confidential.* Scissors-32x32.png

The first I ever heard of Laurence Tribe was when he testified in front of Congress to argue that Bill Clinton should not be impeached - wonder if THEY had conversations re legal advice that he has notes onrolleyes.gif