Hillary’s Neoliberals

Geee

hillary-clintons-republicans-neoconservatives-turn-back-their-rootsNational Review:

Some Republicans have cultural and political affinities that are pulling them away from Trump and toward Clinton.

Many elections redefine political parties.

The rise of George McGovern’s hard-left agenda in 1972, followed later in the decade by Jimmy Carter’s evangelical liberalism, drove centrist Democrats into the arms of Richard Nixon and later Ronald Reagan.

These so-called neoconservatives (“new conservatives”) grew tired of liberals’ perceived laxity about fighting the Cold War. In foreign policy, the neoconservatives were best known for supporting idealistic nation-building abroad. They distrusted the rise of what would become political correctness and ever more government. They worried about violent crime and higher taxes. So decades ago, these Democrats joined the Republican party.

Since the 1980s, the neoconservatives have made up the elite of their newly adopted party — despite their unease with the conservative orthodoxy of border enforcement, fierce resistance to gun control, and opposition to abortion.Scissors-32x32.png

@Geee

Part of the problem is the 2 candidates we are stuck with...or as

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

H. L. Mencken

Hope and pray I'm wrong but....No matter who wins we are going to get it...Good And Hard!

That was interesting. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I never really knew what a neocon was. This article explains a lot.

@Geee

Part of the problem is the 2 candidates we are stuck with...or as Andrew Klavan puts it, Gangster vs Psycho

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

H. L. Mencken

Hope and pray I'm wrong but....No matter who wins we are going to get it...Good And Hard!

I keep hoping that the Good Lord will intercede somehow (don't have a clue how - but he IS the all powerful) but I think we are screwed and we deserve it.

That was interesting. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I never really knew what a neocon was. This article explains a lot.

Shocking New! I Have A Book!!! blink.png

biggrin.png

Neoconservatism: The Biography of a Movement

Neoconservatism has undergone a transformation that has made a clear identity almost impossible to capture. The Republican foreign policy operatives of the George W. Bush era seem far removed from the early liberal intellectuals who focused on domestic issues. Justin Vaïsse offers the first comprehensive history of neoconservatism, exploring the connections between a changing and multifaceted school of thought, a loose network of thinkers and activists, and American political life in turbulent times.

In an insightful portrait of the neoconservatives and their impact on public life, Vaïsse frames the movement in three distinct ages: the New York intellectuals who reacted against the 1960s leftists; the “Scoop Jackson Democrats,” who tried to preserve a mix of hawkish anticommunism abroad and social progress at home but failed to recapture the soul of the Democratic Party; and the “Neocons” of the 1990s and 2000s, who are no longer either liberals or Democrats. He covers neglected figures of this history such as Pat Moynihan, Eugene Rostow, Lane Kirkland, and Bayard Rustin, and offers new historical insight into two largely overlooked organizations, the Coalition for a Democratic Majority and the Committee on the Present Danger. He illuminates core developments, including the split of liberalism in the 1960s, and the shifting relationship between partisan affiliation and foreign policy positions.

Vaïsse gives neoconservatism its due as a complex movement and predicts it will remain an influential force in the American political landscape.

• Like 1