Waiting for the Pivot at the End of the Universe

Valin

donald-trump-pivot-isnt-comingNational Review:

Jonah Goldberg

August 6, 2016

Dear Reader (And reading deer),

You know the scene. Radiation is leaking from the control rods and if we don’t close the blast doors, millions will die. Or maybe it’s the army of flesh-eating mutant killer ants coming up from deep within the old coal mine. We have to seal the entrance with TNT or there will be no stopping them. Perhaps it’s an outbreak of a genital-melting super-virus in the underground lab. Or maybe you’re thinking of that moment on the submarine when the containment valves can’t take the pressure. If we don’t seal off section 7G, we’ll lose the whole boat.

“But sir, Jimmy and his team are still down there!”

“Damn it, you don’t think I know that? Close the doors.”

“But sir . . . ?”

“You heard me.”

“Yes sir. [whispering] May God have mercy on our souls.”

If a similar conversation hasn’t already begun at the RNC, it’s going to start pretty soon. We are in the last days of the “He can pivot!” fantasy (and the toll is showing on Trump’s praetorian guard). The Pivot is the dearly held hope of a diverse group of politicians and pundits that Donald Trump can stop being Donald Trump.

Waiting for the Pivot at the End of the Universe

I’ve been keeping an informal file cataloging what can only be called case studies of MBSS — Mass Battered Spouse Syndrome. Battered spouses, at least according to the cliché, insist that their partner can change. He’s good inside! He isn’t always like this! He can get better!

A few examples (feel free to skip ahead if you already know what I’m talking about):

(Snip)

From The Comments.

John Butala

Ah Jonah, but the Trumpsters keep insisting their hero/idol not change. Because "he tells it like it is" and "he stands up to the elite" and "they (whomever) wish he would change because he's killing them."

So you see, if you visit various forums where the Donald is held in high regard, the pro-Trumpians still see their hero as "giving it to them" and do not wish to see him change. They firmly believe the attempts to get him to be somewhat presidential are attempts at subterfuge and deceit.

So if he loses in the general election it will be due to subterfuge and deceit from (1)the Pubbie elites (2) "traitorous NeverTrumpers (3) the media and (4) you'll never guess....yes...the voting machines will be fixed for Hillary.

So the Trump faithful insist on no change of course for the good ship The Donald, and they appear to want to go down with the ship taking everybody, including the entire Pubbie party, with them.

Sad To Say I have to agree with John.