Charles C.W. Cooke’s “The Conservatarian Manifesto”

Valin

charles-c-w-cookes-conservatarian-manifestoHugh Hewitt Show:

Hugh Hewitt

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Audio

(Snip)

HH: Oh, one out of two. Not bad, but I hope you do, the definitive history of al Qaeda. I want to talk to you about The Conservatarian Manifesto, which I will have linked and posted at Hughhewitt.com, Charles. But before I do, a simple question. I just asked John Dickerson this. Do you believe Donald Trump could still win?

CCWC: Yes, I do. I think it’s looking less and less likely, but the old events, dear boy, events idea may come into play. We don’t know what’s going to happen in the world. We don’t know what’s going to happen in the United States, or with the economy. And Donald Trump does have a certain visceral appeal, and I think if it looks as if we need somebody stronger to lead, he may be more appealing. But I think it’s unlikely, ceteris paribus.

(Snip)

HH: Now the second question is different from the first. Ought he to win or ought he to lose, Charles Cooke? There are NeverTrumpers by the dozens at National Review’s offices. Are you among them?

CCWC: I am among them, although I find that question difficult, as that is something I’m struggling with. If I’m quite honest, I don’t know the answer. I would not be able to vote for Donald Trump. But I would also not be able to vote for Hillary Clinton. I understand the argument that one has to choose. I understand the argument that it is effectively a binary choice. But it’s also a question of thresholds. I don’t believe that either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton come up to the threshold. I think they’re both unfit for office, which makes the question, from my perspective, which outcome would be better for conservatism? Which outcome will be better long term for the country? And I don’t know the answer to that. That’s something that I’m still working through. Clearly, the big argument for Trump, or perhaps against Hillary, is the Supreme Court. It’s enormously important, and I have seen some conservatives downplaying it. I disagree with them on that. At the same time…

(Snip)

HH: And so with that in the balance, how does one remain a NeverTrumper?

CCWC: As I say, it’s something I’m struggling with. I think at the same time, the Court is not the only institution in American life, and as a conservative, I am protective of institutions. Donald Trump seems to me to be erratic. He doesn’t seem to be especially conservative. He doesn’t seem to have a strong temperament. Now if it is the case, and of course, it’s an if. I’m not a seer, but if he were to damage the Republican Party to such an extent that it were to be in the wilderness at the presidential, the Congressional, gubernatorial and state levels, or at least if it were to be relegated to minority status, it is possible that just as much damage, if not more, would be done to the country over the next 20 years as then by the Court flipping to 5-4 and possibly 6-3. I’m not going to give you a glib answer or pretend that I know what’s going to happen, but I am struggling with that balance.

(Snip)

Related

Scarborough: Trump asked adviser why US can't use nuclear weapons

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump asked a foreign policy adviser multiple times in an hourlong briefing why the U.S. can’t use its nuclear weapons, MSNBC anchor Joe Scarborough said Wednesday morning.

Scarborough revealed the story while he was interviewing former CIA Director Michael Hayden on "Morning Joe" about Trump's campaign.

“Several months ago, a foreign policy expert went to advise Donald Trump,” Scarborough said. “And three times he asked about the use of nuclear weapons — three times he asked. At one point, ‘If we have them, why can’t we use them?’”

“That’s one of the reasons why he doesn’t have foreign policy experts around him,” Scarborough added.

Trump’s presidential campaign said the anecdote is false.

“There is no truth to this,” spokeswoman Hope Hicks told The Hill in an email.

(Snip)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________