The Obama factor (2)

Valin

the-obama-factor-2.phpPower Line:

Scott Johnson

July 9 2016

Obama’s statement in Warsaw on the shootings in Baton Rouge and Falcon Heights refers to racial disparities while omitting any acknowledgement of the related behavioral disparities that account for them. The implication that they represent a racist criminal justice system at play is a lie of the bald-faced variety.

The dirty little secret of the assault on law enforcement in the name of racial disparities is the underlying behavioral disparities that account for them. The existence of the underlying behavioral disparities is a taboo enforced more stricly than the Victorian taboo against public discussion of sex.

This was the point of my my Power Line series Deep Secrets of Racial Profiling. Michele Alexander and her execrable book The New Jim Crow are the bible of the left’s assault on the criminal justice system. I wrote about it in part 4 of the series.

To take just one example of the underlying behavioral disparities, this 2011 Department of Justice report report notes that blacks committed homicide at a rate 7.64 that of whites over the period 1980-2008 and that black on white homicides are approximately twice as frequent as white on black homicides. Michael Walsh’s January 2016 New York Post column “The myth of the cop-killer ‘epidemic'” takes up the issue in the context of police shootings of blacks.

The Manhattan Institute’s Heather Mac Donald represents the voice of truth in this fraught matter. The Manhattan Institute’s City Journal has compiled Heather’s invaluable essays here. Her new book The War On Cops constitutes only her most recent contribution.

(Snip)

• Like 1