Police “militarization” after Dallas [UPDATED]

Valin

police-militarization-after-dallas.phpPower Line:

Paul Mirengoff

July 8, 2016

Readers may remember that during the protests in Ferguson, Missouri over the Michael Brown shooting, many commentators complained about the “militarization” of the police — not just in Ferguson, but throughout the nation. President Obama, never one to resist calls to disadvantage the police, issued an executive order prohibiting federal agencies from providing local police forces with certain kinds of military equipment.

At the time, the “militarization” criticism struck me as naive, especially given that the Ferguson protests spilled over into looting. In my view, the police should always have at its ready disposal the overwhelming force needed to deter and, if necessary, quell the rioting and violence that often arise from angry protests. However, I understood the other side of the argument, and viewed the matter as one about which reasonable people could disagree.

After last night in Dallas, perhaps the argument should be considered settled. At the end of a peaceful protest, snipers ambushed the police with high-powered rifles. The police force, as I understand it, was outgunned, returning fire mainly with hand guns.

I recognize that there are limitations, both practical and prudential, on the amount of force the police realistically can display during a protest march. You can’t have tanks rolling down the street alongside peaceful marchers.

(Snip)

clearvision

Related. A lot of police departments have been told over the past year to NOT wear riot gear and vests as it intimidates the "peaceful" protesters and makes them do things they would not otherwise do.