Congress investigating attack on U.S. diplomat in Moscow

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
21380286-4456-11e6-8856-f26de2537a9d_story.htmlWashington Post:

As new details come to light, Congress is demanding more information and more action by the Obama administration in response to the attack last month on a U.S. diplomat by a Russian FSB guard at the Moscow embassy.

One month after the June 6 attack, the Obama administration has refused to comment publicly on the incident, which was first reported in The Post last week. But the Russian foreign ministry has put out a series of statements claiming that an undercover U.S. spy, posing as a diplomat, rushed the gate at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow’s city center and assaulted a Russian guard stationed outside the compound’s walls. State Department spokesman John Kirby said last week the Russian statements were “inaccurate,” but he declined to elaborate.

Kirby did acknowledge that the U.S. government has video of the incident. Two U.S. officials who have seen the video told me that it clearly shows the Russian FSB guard attacking the U.S. diplomat, not the other way around. The officials also said that the diplomat was on embassy compound property when the guard assaulted him. If true, that could mean the Russian guard violated the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations.

“I don’t think we’ve ever seen anything quite like this,” Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) told me. “We are intricately involved in all facets of it from an oversight standpoint. We continue to work with the State Department and all interested parties.”

________

Bullies abroad?