Bill Kristol, ‘Never Trump’ Advocates Push for Floor Challenges Among Delegates at GOP Convention

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
bill-kristol-never-trump-advocates-push-for-floor-challenges-among-delegates-at-gop-conventionThe Blaze:

Multiple “Never Trump” conservatives who have been pressing for an independent candidate as an alternative to presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump lent their praise and names Tuesday night to those in the so-called “free the delegates” movement.

Prominent conservatives such as Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol and National Review writer David French joined a conference call Tuesday with Free the Delegates and Delegates Unbound organizers. The advocacy groups, made up of activists, RNC delegates and lawyers, are seeking to ensure delegates to the Republican National Convention are unbound.

“I myself was more focused more on the notion of a possible independent Republican candidate if Trump were to be the nominee, and I’m happy to support what you all are doing,” Kristol said on the call.

Kristol argued in favor of a position promoted by RNC Committeeman Curly Haugland, who says delegates are actually already unbound and are not required to vote consistent to state party rules.

“It’s very important to establish the principle that the delegates have the right to vote as they see fit,” Kristol said. “Think of the opposite extreme, the contrast of some delegate’s chairman standing up and casting some vote, while all the delegation is there saying, ‘No, I don’t want to do that.’ That’s why I think there could and should be floor challenges if it comes to that.”

________

Kristol still cracked...