Expect Obama to end his presidency in partisan style

Geee

2595392Washington Examiner:

The last major speech Barack Obama will give as president is three weeks away. While the White House has been mum on what he is expected to say, Obama himself has been previewing his remarks for a year.

Beginning in LaCrosse, Wis., last summer where he compared the GOP presidential field to crazy "Uncle Harry," to Washington last fall when he famously compared them to the Internet star "Grumpy Cat," to last week's rant in Ottawa where he sought to reclaim the populist mantle, Americans should pretty much know what to expect from one of the nation's best political orators when he addresses the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia.

"I care about poor people who are working really hard and don't have a chance to advance," Obama said in Canada. "And I care about workers being able to have a collective voice in the workplace and get their fair share of the pie.

"And I want to make sure that kids are getting a decent education ... and I think we should have a tax system that's fair ... and I think there should be curbs on the excesses of our financial sector so that we don't repeat the debacles of 2007 and 2008," Obama said.

Stay abreast of the latest developments from nation's capital and beyond with curated News Alerts from the Washington Examiner news desk and delivered to your inbox.

"Now, somebody else who has never shown any regard for workers, has never fought on behalf of social justice issues ... They don't suddenly become a populist because they say something controversial in order to win votes," Obama said without naming Donald Trump, a tactic he's unlikely to deviate from in Philadelphia. "That's not the measure of populism. That's nativism or xenophobia or worse. Or it's just cynicism."

In addition to calling Trump on the carpet, Obama will seek to cement his legacy while bringing his fractured party together behind his one-time adversary and Cabinet member, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.Scissors-32x32.png