Boris Johnson won't run for prime minister after Brexit

Valin

2971467289546UPI:

Johnson's surprise announcement prompted Justice Minister Michael Grove to enter the race.

Ed Adamczyk

June 30, 2016

LONDON, June 30 (UPI) -- The decision by presumed front-runner Boris Johnson not to seek the British prime minister's position Thursday expanded the field of candidates in the wake of David Cameron's departure.

Johnson, a member of Parliament and former mayor of London, announced his intention Thursday not to replace Cameron as Conservative Party leader and head of government. A leading exponent of the British exit from the European Union, which was approved last week in a referendum, Johnson was regarded as the leading candidate to replace Cameron, who announced his resignation, effective in October, after the vote.

With Johnson's departure, Justice Minister Michael Grove announced he would join the race Thursday, after weeks of denying his interest in the position. In a statement, Grove said he had hoped to work with Johnson in support of the Conservative majority in Parliament, but added "I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead. I have, therefore, decided to put my name forward for the leadership."

(Snip)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forward To 11:00