Conservatives Must Channel Lincoln and Repudiate Judicial Supremacy

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
conservatives-must-channel-lincoln-and-repudiate-judicial-supremacyThere Surgent: Conservatives Must Channel Lincoln and Repudiate Judicial Supremacy

By Josh Hammer | June 27, 2016, 02:30pm

My foremost political hero in American history, on whose birthday I consider myself blessed to have been born, is Abraham Lincoln. The first president elected under the partisan banner of the modern Republican Party, Lincoln is naturally remembered most fondly (by most, that is, except for perhaps a few “Lost Cause” Ron Paul-style pseudo-secessionists and now some Breitbart.com comment section “alt-right” types) for his dual victories in both preserving the Union and in defeating one of the greatest moral injustices in our nation’s history—that of chattel slavery.

What is perhaps less frequently noted is that one of the particular means Lincoln invoked to achieve his ends was a relentless assault on the legitimacy of the U.S. Supreme Court to not merely render idiosyncratic judgments as it pertains to the litigants in the suit properly before it, but to authoritatively settle political issues for the broader republic. In his famous 1858 debates with Stephen Douglas, Lincoln repeatedly rejected this fallacious doctrine of judicial supremacy, and concomitantly, the validity of Chief Justice Roger Taney’s monstrously inhumane decision the year prior, in Dred Scott v. Sandford; Scissors-32x32.png

http://theresurgent.com/conservatives-must-channel-lincoln-and-repudiate-judicial-supremacy/