The U.S. House and China

Valin

us-house-china-organ-harvesting-liu-xiaobo-plazaNational Review/The Corner:

Jay Nordlinger

June 27, 2016

One of the grisliest subjects on earth — along with North Korea, Syria, etc. — is organ harvesting in China. Very few want to discuss it. Two years ago, Ethan Gutmann wrote an explosive book called The Slaughter. My review of it was titled “Face The Slaughter.”

Yet people, understandably, are reluctant to do it: face the slaughter, that is.

There was a documentary, Human Harvest. It won awards, thankfully. There is a new feature movie, The Bleeding Edge. It stars Anastasia Lin, a Chinese-born Canadian (with whom I recently did a podcast).

Now the House of Representatives, bless it, has passed a resolution condemning organ harvesting in China. This harvesting — this murder — particularly targets Falun Gong practitioners. Speaking for the resolution were the usual suspects — the politicians who can be counted on to defend human rights. I am thinking, most prominently, of Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Chris Smith, and Eliot Engel.

To read the resolution, go here. This was a good act, a good deed.

Here is a question: The Senate has passed Ted Cruz’s proposal to name the area outside the Chinese embassy in Washington “Liu Xiaobo Plaza,” after the democracy leader and Nobel peace laureate who is one of Beijing’s political prisoners. (In the mid-1980s, President Reagan and his allies renamed the area outside the Soviet embassy “Andrei Sakharov Plaza,” after another Nobel peace laureate.) The House has not acted. It is sitting on the measure. Stifling it, apparently. Why?

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________________