Marco Rubio will seek Senate re-election, reversing pledge not to run

Valin

marco-rubio-will-seek-senate-re-election-reversing-pledge-not-to-runWashington Post:

Mike DeBonis, Ed O'Keefe and Sean Sullivan

June 22 2016

Sen. Marco Rubio will announce Wednesday he will seek re-election to the Senate, reversing a pledge he made a year ago to either assume the presidency or return to private life in Florida, instantly transforming an already competitive race and improving the chances that Republicans can maintain the Senate majority.

Rubio is set to announce the decision sometime Wednesday, according to three people familiar with the decision who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss it before a formal announcement. One person said Rubio has started privately informing key Republicans he will run.

His entry into the race comes shortly before a Friday deadline for candidate filings and after weeks of pressure from national GOP figures who urged Rubio to reconsider his frequently repeated intention to either become president or a “private citizen” come 2017.

Those entreaties were rooted in blunt political reality: Rubio, with his near-universal name recognition and proven fundraising capacity, would give Republicans their best chance of winning the swing-state seat and, perhaps, the Senate majority.

(Snip)

_________________________________________________________________________________

H/T Hot Air

He's not my favorite Republican, but if it helps retain a Republican majority in the Senate (translation: Democratic minority) then I guess I'm for it.

• Like 1