TAYA KYLE PINS JESSE VENTURA ON APPEAL

Geee

taya-kyle-pins-jesse-ventura-on-appeal.phpPowerline:

I wrote about Jesse Ventura’s defamation/unjust enrichment lawsuit against the estate of Chris Kyle in “American Sniper on trial” and in “American Sniper on trial: The verdict” and in American Sniper on trial: The appeal.” The case arises from a couple of pages now excised from the book about Kyle’s close encounter with Ventura at a bar in southern California.

Ventura alleged that the story Kyle recounted was false and defamatory and that the success of the book was attributable in part to the story Kyle told in those pages. A jury with two holdouts found in favor of Ventura. District Judge Richard Kyle (no relation to the family of Chris Kyle) entered judgment against the estate in the amount of nearly $2,000,000 on the two claims. The Kyle estate appealed the judgment to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.

A panel of three judges has now ruled in favor of the Kyle estate on appeal, vacating the unjust enrichment award and sending the defamation claim back for a new trial. The Eighth Circuit’s opinion is unanimous in overturning the unjust enrichment award and split 2-1 only in sending the defamation claim back for retrial. The unjust enrichment claim is now gone and will not be seen again.

The Eighth Circuit’s opinion is posted online by the court here. I encourage interested readers to check it out.Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

@Geee

From The Comments

Tom Roshetar
He was a non-politician, an outsider, who talked tough & crude. He came to the public's attention by starring in a * television show aimed at low information voters.
Who would have thought anything could go wrong?

* For The Record it was a radio show.

@Geee

From The Comments

Tom Roshetar

He was a non-politician, an outsider, who talked tough & crude. He came to the public's attention by starring in a * television show aimed at low information voters.

Who would have thought anything could go wrong?

* For The Record it was a radio show.

@Valin - Ventura had a TV show on cable. I never watched it - and apparently not too many did, cause it didn't last long. From what is saw from the promos and read, it was wall to wall tin foil hat conspiracies. All these off the wall things that the government is doing and all the things they are hiding from us. This is informing the low information voter??

@Geee

I'm talking about the 1990's before he ran for governor. If memory serves he had a talk show on 1500 KSPT and his ratings were dropping like a rock. This is why he ran, in order to get his name in the media...and improve his ratings/name recognition....not unlike someone else I could mention.

I (and others) recall getting involved in on TOS in major flame wars discussions, when we tried to tell people he was not a * Conservative...not unlike the previous GOP primary race,

I fear we're going to have a similar outcome....ie no real principles, other than what's good for me.

* He was a navy SEAL (well not really) and he talked tough. Therefore he must be a Conservative. (you may detect a slight hint of sarcasm)

@Geee

I'm talking about the 1990's before he ran for governor. If memory serves he had a talk show on 1500 KSPT and his ratings were dropping like a rock. This is why he ran, in order to get his name in the media...and improve his ratings/name recognition....not unlike someone else I could mention.

I (and others) recall getting involved in on TOS in major flame wars discussions, when we tried to tell people he was not a * Conservative...not unlike the previous GOP primary race,

I fear we're going to have a similar outcome....ie no real principles, other than what's good for me.

* He was a navy SEAL (well not really) and he talked tough. Therefore he must be a Conservative. (you may detect a slight hint of sarcasm)

biggrin.png - some of my exact thoughts when I read the 'comment' you posted. Ah, great mindswink.png