The Stupid Party Keeps Getting Stupider

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
the-stupid-party-keeps-getting-stupiderAmerican Spectator:

In the last month or so both of the presumptive presidential candidates, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have said stupid and even offensive things.

Trump as we all know, because we’ve heard it repeated by the media one thousand times, questioned the impartiality of a federal judge because he is of Mexican descent. Dumb. Even indefensible.

But Hillary a few weeks earlier said that she was going to put every coal miner in America out of a job. Messing with people’s livelihoods is arrogant and smug beyond belief. Arguably, ‎much worse than anything Trump has said.

Politicians often say stupid things. I’m old enough to remember when Ronald Reagan called ketchup a vegetable. Bill Clinton became a laughing stock when he said in 1992 that he “didn’t inhale.”

What is maddening about the Clinton and Trump gaffes is the reaction by the brain trusts of their respective parties. When Hillary promised to lay off tens of thousands of coal miners, the left knew she had stepped in it. But did you hear Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid denounce her as an an out of control imbecile who has just threatened the jobs of middle class union workers?

Did they clamor that one more of these unforced errors and she would be “disqualified” from the race? Did they rush on MSNBC and CNN and demand a retraction?

Of course, no. No. And No. Never. They aren’t stupid. Like the worker bees, they did everything to protect the queen bee. They worked together to change the subject, denounce Trump, reassure voters that Hillary really does care about working class people. She’s even met some.

Nearly everyone dutifully parroted the party line: what Hillary really meant to say was blah, blah, blah.

That’s called damage control.

The Republicans are, by contrast, pathetic wimps. They are so terrified of and traumatized by the “racist” charge, that they threw the GOP nominee under the bus so that the media wouldn’t label them bigots too. They foolishly piled on to the media and Democratic attack. The media didn’t have to call on Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton ‎to excoriate Trump. House Speaker Paul Ryan lashed out at Trump for his “racist comment.” Marco Rubio and others did the same. Jeb Bush called for Trump to “retract” his comments.

They seemed to be saying: see how racially progressive I am. I just denounced Donald Trump. He’s the Republican racist, not me. ‎That’s statesmanship for you.

________

Democrats win when Republicans do their dumb work for them.