Identity Politics: Krugman Gets One Right

Valin

identity-politics-krugman-gets-one-right-n2176701Townhall:

John C. Goodman

Jun 11, 2016

I grew up in Waco, Texas. When I was a child, the city was completely segregated – the schools, the churches, the lunch counters, etc. Public buildings not only had separate restrooms for blacks and whites, they even had separate drinking fountains.

(Snip)

What brings all this to mind was yesterday’s New York Times column by Paul Krugman, which made an insightful claim. The coming presidential election, he writes, will not mainly be about ideas. It will be about group identity.

By way of explanation, Krugman points to the contest between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton. Bernie Sanders tried to make the primary an election about ideas. He made bold proposals and tried to draw Hillary out. When Sanders talked about inequality, for example, he said it was something he wanted to end – regardless of race. He promised voters they would reap benefits from his platform – again as individuals, not as blacks or as women or as Hispanics, etc.

Hillary Clinton, on the other hand campaigned for the votes of blacks as blacks. She campaigned for the votes of woman as women. According to Krugman, blacks may have been better off with the platform proposals of Bernie Sanders. Ditto for the women. But they voted for the candidate they identified with.

(Snip)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From The Comments (and the reason I posted this)

Maria? • an hour ago

This whole election seems to be more about anger than policy. Bernie supporters are angry at the democratic establishment, Trump supporters are angry at the republican establishment. Dems fighting among themselves as much as republicans are split down the middle. Trump launches more insults and slogans than policy proposals. How can it not be about anger? Most Trump supporters are white males, most women detest Trump. There's so much emotion in this campaign, there hasn't been much discussion on policy.

Bold Mine

• Like 2