A Risen in the sun, cont’d

Valin

a-risen-in-the-sun-contd.phpPower Line:

Scott Johnson

June 11 2016

James Risen is a New York Times reporter who has done great damage to the national security of the United States, some through leaks he has published in the Times and some through leaks the Times has passed. The case of fired CIA agent Jeffrey Sterling involves one such leak on which the Times passed but that Risen included in his book State of War. Sterling was prosecuted and convicted of violating the Espionage Act for the leak. Risen remains at large.

Risen not only remains at large, he is lionized as a First Amendment hero by Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes and, most recently, by Sarah Ellison in the current Vanity Fair: “What was New York Times reporter James Risen’s 7-year legal battle really for?”

I have written about Risen and the Sterling case in many posts including “At the Sterling trial” and “Risen at large.” Paul wrote about Risen and Sterling in “Jeffrey Sterling convicted; his accomplice remains free.”

Provoked by the Times, Gabriel Schoenfeld wrote the book on the First Amendment and national security; the book is Necessary Secrets. Gabe has also written the best articles about the Sterling case. For a full understanding of what Risen has wrought in this matter I urge interested readers to read Schoenfeld’s Weekly Standard articles “Not every leak is fit to print” (2008), “What gives?” (2010), and “A privileged press?” (2014) as well as Schoenfeld’s Power Line post “A Risen in the sun.”

I asked Gabe if he would comment on Ellison’s Vanity Fair article. He writes:

(Snip)