Mike Rowe: “Never Follow Your Passion, But Always Bring It with You” Tom Meyer, Ed. June 8, 2016 16 COMMENTS When I worked as an ACT/SAT tutor, I some

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

mike-rowe-never-follow-passion-always-bring:

Mike Rowe: “Never Follow Your Passion, But Always Bring It with You”

Tom Meyer, Ed. / June 8, 2016 / 16 COMMENTS

When I worked as an ACT/SAT tutor, I sometimes got to chat with my students after the lesson finished. Given the opportunity, I’d offer the following advice: 1) In choosing majors, consider both what you enjoy learning about and what someone else will pay you enough to do to make a living, and 2) Understand that these need not be the same thing. People who are particularly diligent, talented, and lucky sometimes get to be paid to follow their passions; most folks don’t and very few who do get to do so straight out of school. Moreover, is there absolutely nothing dishonorable or disappointing in using your remunerative work to finance your actual passions. That’s the point about passions, anyway: You’re interested in them even when you’re not getting paid to pursue them.

In a new Prager U video addressed to graduates, Mike Rowe made not only that point, but took it several excellent steps further: Scissors-32x32.png