Why Republicans Should Be Worried

Geee

why-republicans-should-be-worriedFree Beacon:

Around this time in 2012, I believed Mitt Romney had a good chance of beating President Obama. I was not alone. The thinking went like this: Obama was unpopular. The economy was sluggish. The Democrats had been drubbed in the previous midterm. Independents did not support the president.

I scoured every new poll and piece of economic data for nuggets that confirmed my biases. Job growth was unsatisfactory, men were dropping out of the workforce, polls sampled more Democrats than Republicans—these notions reinforced my thesis. In late October, when Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey and the president performed well in a crisis, I began to think Romney would lose. On the morning of Election Day, as I walked to my polling place in Alexandria and saw nothing but Obama-Biden signs, I knew he would lose. And by the time the election was called that night, I understood that I should have been more skeptical of his chances all along.

Why? Because I had dismissed what I had been told in the spring during a lunch at the Brookings Institution. After I explained why Romney could pull it off, one of the political scientists at my table stroked his beard and said, “Look, it’s an interesting story you tell, but what matters is approval and the state of the economy. That’s what will reelect President Obama.” My own disapproval of the president and disappointment in his economic policy led me to short his advantages.

It’s a mistake I do not want to make again. And so, as you see the polls showing Donald Trump competitive or in some cases slightly ahead of Hillary Clinton, it’s important to look at the more fundamental numbers of President Obama’s job approval, the unemployment rate, and the generic congressional ballot. The comparison does not bode well for Trump. Republicans should worry.

Scissors-32x32.png

mozartlover

Why REPUBLICANS should be worried? We should ALL be worried. We're going to end up with a horrible person as president next January, no matter what happens.

• Like 2