Weekend Politics: What's Next (for the Non-Trumps)? [Y-not] —Open Blogger

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
363235.phpAce of Spades : Weekend Politics: What's Next (for the Non-Trumps)? [Y-not] —Open Blogger

**PLEASE USE THE OPEN THREAD BELOW THIS ONE FOR OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSIONS. THANKS.**

Now that we've all had a few days to lick our wounds, not to mention burn our Republican voter ID cards, I'd like to start looking ahead to see if there is anythingconstructive we can do this Summer (and Fall).

They say politics makes strange bedfellows, and that's certainly true. Whom you invite into your bedroom might say something about your character, but other times it might just speak to desperate times requiring desperate actions. In recent days I've seen posturing by some politicians who, in their effort to get in the good graces of conservative voters, have over-inflated how much they Fought Trump (or helped Ted Cruz and the other non-Trumps). One example is Ben Sasse who seems to think we have very short memories or that we live in an age pre-Google. Senator Sasse did NOT endorse Ted Cruz and I'm offended that he (and some of his supporters) is trying to imply otherwise.

Whether or not Senator Sasse should suffer any electoral consequences over his Brave Sir Robin profile in courage is up to Nebraskans. Certainly he was not the worst offender in the spineless twit department, although he played it pretty coy in my book, but whatever. Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

Draggingtree

Nebraska Senator Deb Fischer Supports Derogatory Statements Against Blacks and Women

By Erick Erickson | May 17, 2016, 12:00am

The Nebraska GOP shamed itself over the weekend thanks to Nebraska’s Senator Deb Fischer. Nebraska Republicans admit that behind the scenes Fischer pulls many strings and controls her nephew. Her nephew, with Senator Fischer’s blessings, orchestrated a resolution to attack Fischer’s fellow Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse.

Sasse opposes Donald Trump and the Fischers’ prepared a resolution condemning Sasse for doing so. They orchestrated this attack on Sasse after Sasse himself had stood before the convention and praised Senator Fischer saying, in part,

I was also going to make a few comments about American Exceptionalism on the global stage but Senator Fischer did such a great job of that I think I’m going to forgo that piece of what I was going to talk about a little bit and simply associate myself with our Senior Senator’s comments. Scissors-32x32.png

http://theresurgent.com/nebraska-senator-deb-fischer-supports-derogatory-statements-against-blacks-and-women/

Draggingtree

Think Twice Before Voting For Gary Johnson As A Trump Protest Vote

Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson’s stance on government forcing people to participate in gay weddings is decidedly coercive.

By Kyle Sammin MAY 19, 2016

With the impending nomination of Donald Trump as the Republican candidate for president, many disenchanted conservatives have been casting about for an alternative. Some have landed on Gary Johnson, a former Republican governor of New Mexico and current candidate for the Libertarian nomination for president.

Johnson, who was also the Libertarian nominee in 2012, has much to recommend him—much more than a typical third-party candidate—but he is far from a perfect alternative. Conservatives should take a hard look before rallying to his standard, especially given his announcement today of Bill Weld as a running mate.

On questions of religious liberty, Johnson’s instinct is often to take a position more like that of a secular Democrat than a Republican. Asked whether government should ban Muslim women from wearing burqas, Johnson initially supported the ban before reversing himself the next day.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/19/think-twice-before-voting-for-gary-johnson-as-a-trump-protest-vote/

Draggingtree

Gary Johnson Defends Wedding Cake Fascism?

V the K / May 23, 2016 / 54 COMMENTS

In a Facebook post, Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson appears to explain why the State should be allowed to force bakers and florists to participate in gay weddings even if such participation goes against their religious beliefs:

[A]nti-discrimination laws do not, and cannot, abridge fundamental First Amendment rights. I know of no one who reasonably disagrees. In the highly unlikely event that a Nazi would demand that a Jewish baker decorate a cake with a Nazi symbol, the courts, common sense, and common decency — not to mention the First Amendment — all combine to protect that baker from having to do so. It’s not an issue, except when distorted for purposes of gotcha politics. Scissors-32x32.pnghttps://ricochet.com/gary-johnson-defends-wedding-cake-fascism/