Johnson pushes government reform package

Geee

ron-johnson-government-senate:

MADISON, Wis. — Hoping to continue the legacy of former budget hawk Tom Coburn, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson this week introduced an ambitious government reform package aimed at greater accountability, security and transparency.

The suite of bills aims to “strengthen inspectors general, curb improper payments and improve anti-fraud controls,” according to a statement by Johnson, R-Oshkosh. The reform package also would “expedite the disposal of unneeded federal property, improve government transparency, and enhance whistleblower protections.”

Johnson introduced the legislation Wednesday during a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, which the senator chairs.

SELLING REFORM: U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Oshkosh, introduced a government reform package this week building upon recommendations of a federal government watchdog.

The reform package would encompass 15 bills that already have been approved by voice vote or unanimous roll calls in committee during this session of Congress. Johnson is hopeful the reforms will garner the same bipartisan support in a full Senate vote.

“We’ve passed 69 pieces of legislation through this committee, most of it unanimously. Twenty-four now have been signed into law. There’s another piece of legislation that’s waiting on the president’s desk,” Johnson’s said.

The Republican encouraged ranking member Tom Carper, D-Del., to support the legislation, driven by recommendations from the Government Accountability Office.

“Let me just say, if I could, Mr. Chairman,” Carper replied to Johnson, “I think we’ve done good work, and I’m proud of what we’ve done building on the record that Dr. (Tom) Coburn helped to create. I’m very much interested in the package that’s put together. A lot of it is stuff that I’ve helped to write or authored.”Scissors-32x32.png

Feingold Nears $400K in Bundled Lobbyist Contributions

Russ Feingold, the former Democratic senator from Wisconsin who is running to regain his old seat, has now taken close to $400,000 in bundled lobbyist contributions despite previously spending 18 years in Washington, D.C., railing against such interests.

According to first quarter campaign finance filings—which spans from Jan. 1 to March 31, 2016—Feingold’s campaign added another $122,983.71 from K Street-aligned groups in the first three months of the year. Russ for Wisconsin had already collected $267,318.95 from such groups up to the end of 2015.

His campaign has now hauled in more than $390,302.66 in bundled lobbyist contributions.

The newly added donations came from just two special interests groups: The J Street PAC—which bundled $45,973.51 in new contributions—and the League of Conservation Voters Action Fund, which pulled together an additional $77,010.20 to his campaign.Scissors-32x32.png

http://freebeacon.com/politics/feingold-nears-400k-bundled-lobbyist-contributions/