First Gay Couple Married in Methodist Church

righteousmomma

righteousmomma

You know half this country has gone plumb tuckered insane - delusional. Much of the other half is caught up in the web of political correctness and white guilt.

Not that most will care or even read. Here are some excerpts from the article that get my panties in a twist.

But FIRST We are currently Methodists. The Book of Discipline sets the guidelines for every Methodist church - pastors and members. The Book of Discipline is not a pick and choose option. One may disagree (like I do on some of the social justice stances at times) but one abides by its guidelines or one is free to leave. If it comes to the point that same sex marriage is approved in May in Oregon. We will say good by.

This has nothing to do with hate or discrimination against a group. It has to do with putting God first. The Bible, The Methodist Hymnal/Worship all say that male and female are uniquely created for marriage. Man and woman for the purpose of family. The Supreme Court over ruled the wishes of most "Christians " by changing the definition of marriage I have always said civil ceremonies - fine and dandy - but to force a church /pastor/priest to go against God's expressed doctrine is evil to us who believe. We believe it to be disobedient and an affront to God.

Below are some excerpts from the article. Each of the quotes is a testimony to agenda now going on to make us all genderless and a secular humanistic society.

So from the article: The Book of Discipline could be changed at the denomination’s next General Conference, set for May in Portland, Ore. But the global denomination is divided on same-sex marriage, with opposition from churches in Africa as well as from conservatives in the United States. There has even been talk in recent years about the denomination splitting over the issue.

(Val) Rosenquist, senior pastor since last July at First United Methodist, the uptown Charlotte church where Saturday’s marriage took place, said on Sunday that the Book of Discipline has “institutionalized oppression and discrimination.”

Last August, she said, the leadership board at First United Methodist voted that any member of the church could get married in the sanctuary, even if that defied the Book of Discipline.

“These folks are our brothers and sisters,” Rosenquist, 59, said about LGBT members. “It’s just a matter of obeying our covenant with one another throughout the church, that we are to minister to all and to treat all the same. I’m just following what I was ordained to do, what I was baptized to do.” (So God's Covenant with us is obsolete and inferior to our covenant with each other???)

The 81-year-old Talbert, a retired United Methodist bishop based in Nashville and a one-time leader of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, spent three days and three nights in a jail cell with King in 1960. He called his disobedience of Methodist rules against same-sex marriage an act of “biblical obedience.”

“Discrimination is discrimination, no matter where it is, and it’s wrong,” Talbert said. “I hope that what we did here yesterday will be an act of evangelism for people … who are looking for safe places to come because they don’t want to be identified with anti-gay (sentiment).” (Doncha love the all encompassing definition of discrimination - guess lefties today cannot see and understand or acknowledge differences of any kind - like right and wrong.)

On Sunday, Talbert delivered the sermon at First United Methodist Church, telling about 150 people in the pews that, like African-Americans, women and other past victims of discrimination, LGBT persons are being ridiculed and ostracized “simply because of the way God created them.” (I get it! Its God's fault for creating them that way and He wants them to be happy so....)

They said the Saturday wedding was attended by more than 250 people – including about 30 supportive United Methodist clergy. Also in attendance: Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts, who is a friend of the couple’s.

The Charlotte mayor is also the one, btw, who forced the gender issue by passing the bill that the current HB2 opposes. Once again a tiny minority are forcing their views on the majority with an agenda.

• Like 1

Colorado Supreme Court declines to hear gay wedding cake case

The Colorado Supreme Court on Monday refused to review Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Craig, a case featuring a religious wedding cake baker who was punished for declining to service a same-sex wedding celebration.

Alliance Defending Freedom senior counsel Jeremy Tedesco, who represents Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips, said the firm is “evaluating all legal options” in the case.

“We asked the Colorado Supreme Court to take this case to ensure that government understands that its duty is to protect people’s freedom to follow their beliefs personally and professionally, not force them to violate those beliefs as the price of earning a living,” Mr. Tedesco said in a press release.

“Jack, who has happily served people of all backgrounds for years, simply exercised the long-cherished American freedom to decline to use his artistic talents to promote a message and event with which he disagrees, and that freedom should not be placed in jeopardy for anyone,” he said.

Mr. Phillips in 2012 declined to service the wedding celebration of same-sex couple David Mullins and Charlie Craig. The couple planned to marry in Massachusetts — as same-sex marriage did not become legal in Colorado until 2014 — and then hold a celebration with family and friends in Colorado.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/25/colorado-supreme-court-declines-hear-gay-wedding-c/