A Nationwide Minimum Wage Is Even Worse than State-Imposed Wages

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
nationwide-minimum-wage-even-worse-state-imposed-wagesMises:

A Nationwide Minimum Wage Is Even Worse than State-Imposed Wages

23 HOURS AGO Ryan McMaken

Labor activists have continued to press for a nationwide minimum wage of 15 dollars, and in a surprisingly economically-literate article at ABC news, commentators recognized that the higher a minimum wage is pushed, the more it will increase unemployment:

"It seems to me very probable that the employment losses would be quite a bit larger under a $15 federal minimum than under a $12 minimum," Burtless said. "And I am speaking as a labor economist who strongly supports the president's call for an increase in the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. I can even be persuaded that a hike in the minimum wage to $12, if phased in over a long enough period, could be a good idea, depending on the condition of the economy and the rate of increase in U.S. median wages."

"If we want low-skilled people to still get or keep jobs, $12 is a stretch for many, while $15 might be impossible. Think of someone earning $10 right now," Holzer said. "They probably get hired or kept at $12 but not $15. And those earning $8 right now might be priced out the market at both wages." Scissors-32x32.png