Thoughts from the ammo line

Valin

thoughts-from-the-ammo-line-109.phpPower Line: Scott Johnson

April 8, 2016

Ammo Grrrlls is at home in what she calls MY ARIZONA. She writes:

I have spoken glowingly and often of the robust gun culture in my adopted state of Arizona.

Now, I realize that some people hate guns. Others are simply not interested in guns and still others know their personal temperaments well enough to eschew them. An email friend said recently, Though I stand firmly behind the Second Amendment, I know that me with a firearm is a fish with a bicycle at the top of a ski jump. Nothing good will come of it. My weapon of choice is flight.

Self-knowledge is important! I think Plato said that. Or possibly Oprah.

But even I am sometimes surprised at the extent of enthusiasm for guns in Arizona, at how absolutely routine gun discussions are. My dentist, a fetching young mother of three trained for dentistry in the military, is a shooter who is completely unfazed working on patients who are strapped up while she drills. The oral surgeon she referred me to took some of his fee in bullets, no lie. I knew it would ultimately be worth my while to stand in line for hours a day!

(Snip)

In fact, I would go so far as to assert that guns are to Arizonans what the weather is to Minnesotans for conversational ice-breakers.

Im pretty sure Ive referenced this story before, but I love it, so here it is again. I was in the Post Office yes, the Post Office and the guy ahead of me in line had a beautiful 1911 in a belt holster in back. I said, I like your .45, and he said, Which one? and produced an appendix holster. Welcome to Arizona.

• Like 2