A Dog Not Barking

Valin

george-w-bush-republican-conventionsNational Review/The Corner:

Jay Nordlinger

April 3, 2016

There is much talk of the GOP’s convention in Cleveland this summer. Well, I have a wish for that convention, and it has nothing to do with Trump or Cruz. I want to see George W. Bush appear and speak.

He was frozen out of the 2008 convention, while he was still president. The GOP’s excuse was: weather. There was a hurricane somewhere, etc. Convention managers arranged for Bush to speak via an awkward video hook-up.

He said to his press secretary, Dana Perino, “Do you think they know they’re insulting me?” She answered, “Yes, sir. I believe they do.”

(Snip)

* I hope Jeb speaks at the convention. And Mitt Romney too. And John McCain too. ** And if the Trumpite-Buchananite Right squawks, let ’em.

P.S. I appreciate the Bush family’s tradition of reticence, post-presidency. But a little reticence goes a long way. Sometimes reticence goes too far. When Clinton was dragging the country through the mud in the 1990s, I was longing for 41 to speak out. He was just about the most honorable guy in the country. And when the GOP frontrunner and his folk say that 43 lied us into war and imply a “trutherism” about 9/11 — 43 should leave his easel and let ’em have it.

(Snip)

______________________________________________________________________________________

** Exactly! Life is full of disappointments...this is one of them...Deal With It!