Thoughts from the ammo line

Valin

thoughts-from-the-ammo-line-106.phpPower Line:

Scott Johnson

March 18, 2016

Ammo Grrrll reflects on NANNY STATE NONSENSE that hits close to home. She writes:

To channel the late and much-maligned Senator Joe McCarthy, “I hold in my hand, a special mailing from Xcel Energy, the spelling-challenged Minnesota utility company formerly known as Northern States Power, informing me of what an electricity-guzzling wastrel I am.”

For it would seem that I have used 8% more energy than my neighbors! There is a colorful bar graph with Green (but, of course) representing the Good Efficient Neighbors, Grey for All Neighbors, and a long Blue Line of Shame representing ME, the Bad Grrrll, up an unconscionable 8%.

Why they should not be delighted that I am using so much of their product remains a mystery, virtually unique among purveyors of products. I await a similar letter from Ben and Jerry informing me that I have bought 8% more Cherry Garcia and Chubby Hubby Ice Cream than my most lactose-intolerant neighbors and asking me to please try to use less.

(Snip)

Which brings us to my final point: what in the name of all that’s Holy did this LETTER cost to send out? The research, the graphics, the ink, the murder of the trees, the human labor, the horses slaughtered for the glue for the envelopes?

Finally, in a nod to the “Everyone Gets a Trophy” philosophy that defines Minnesota, the letter tells me that “In 2015 you used 13% less energy than in 2014.” Woo-hoo! Then back off, nosy eco-freaks.

(Snip)

Meanwhile in Todays Red Star

Minneapolis takes fresh look at plastic bag ban
* Revised Minneapolis plan still worries businesses.
Erin Golden
March 17, 2016

A proposal headed to the Minneapolis City Council next week would ban businesses from packing customers’ purchases in plastic bags and require them to charge a 5-cent fee for paper, compostable or reusable bags.

The plan from Council Members Cam Gordon and Abdi Warsame was first introduced last summer and refined after council members met with business owners and community organizations. Its aim: get residents to cut back on their use of plastic bags, put less waste in landfills and help Minneapolis get closer to being a “zero waste” city where nearly everything tossed out is recycled.

The idea of banning or taxing bags — already a reality in several U.S. cities and some foreign countries, including Ireland and China — has picked up support from several local environmental groups and businesses that have made sustainability a key part of their operations. But it is also prompting concern from other business owners and has attracted the attention of out-of-state lobbyists, who have spent millions trying to defeat similar proposals in other states.

(Snip)

* and should worry any reasonably intelligent Biped.

We have received the same letter as Ammo Grrrll. I wondered the same thing -- why isn't the power company happy that we are using their product? Also, how could 2 people in our house use more electricity than our neighbors with teenagers at home? Who is behind these letters? The green Obama administration?

But Wait! There's More!

Demand for Vegan, Allergen-Free Foods on College Campuses Drives Meal Price Increases
Jennie Lissarrague
03/17/2016

Some universities in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system will see price increases for meal plans next year as demand grows for vegan, locally-grown, organic and allergen-free options on college campuses.

On Tuesday, the MnSCU Board of Trustees authorized Bemidji State University, Minnesota State University Moorhead, Minnesota State University Mankato, Southwest Minnesota State University, St. Cloud State University and Winona State University to negotiate food service contracts.

The current contracts expire June 30, and the new contracts are set to begin July 1.

(Snip)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Locally-grown, in Bemidji? Oh yeah, that'll work!

Meanwhile in Todays Red Star

Minneapolis takes fresh look at plastic bag ban

* Revised Minneapolis plan still worries businesses.

Erin Golden

March 17, 2016

A proposal headed to the Minneapolis City Council next week would ban businesses from packing customers’ purchases in plastic bags and require them to charge a 5-cent fee for paper, compostable or reusable bags.

Congratulations, Minneapolis

The scourge of plastic bags has been lifted from your lives.

Now, on to solving the worst-in-the-nation achievement gap, poverty, the worst-in-Minnesota crime rate (which, in the Camden and Near North neighborhoods, is up there with Baltimore and Detroit), the sagging business climate, the eroding infrastructure (notwithstanding the staggering amounts the city has spent) and the tense racial climate.