Ryan to POLITICO: 'I am not going to be the nominee'

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
paul-ryan-not-president-gop-nominee-220869#ixzz436BFyiqDPolitico:

Speaker Paul Ryan said in an interview there is "no situation" in which he will accept the Republican Party's presidential nomination this year, his firmest rejection of the fanciful notion that he'd be drafted during a contested GOP convention.

"I've been really clear about this," Ryan told POLITICO Wednesday. "If you want to be president, you should run for president. We should select our nominee from among the people who are running for president. Clear and simple. So no, I am not going to be the president. I am not going to be the nominee."

Ryan added, "I am not going to become the president through Cleveland."

The unwavering statement comes as the Republican Party begins to come to grips with the real prospect that Donald Trump will lead the GOP ticket in November. Former Speaker John Boehner and other party elders have floated Ryan as a consensus candidate if Trump fails to clinch the nomination on the first ballot.

Ryan was just as resolute that he would not run for speaker of the House when Boehner announced his resignation last year. Reminded of that in the interview, Ryan said, "It was a different situation. I'm already in Congress. That's a totally different situation."

________

No hijacking for him, thanks.