What We Are For — An American Cultural Catechism

Valin

Natioal Review

John D. Mueller
March 12, 2016

Senator Ben Sasse (R., Neb.) is correct that Americas basic problem is a failure of cultural catechesis, which he described as the task of reaffirming our core values. He is also correct that such values are not acquired by osmosis. Moses had the right idea when he told the Israelites to teach the law constantly to your children and your childrens children (Deut. 5:8).

Unfortunately, Sasse offered a cultural catechism only indirectly, by posing rhetorical questions about Donald Trump: Do you believe the beating heart of Mr. Trumps candidacy has been a defense of the Constitution? he asked. Do you believe its been an impassioned defense of the First Amendment or an attack on it?

While I agree that it is necessary to know what we are against, our more fundamental need right now is to state clearly what we are for. In short, we need an American cultural catechism. To that end, I offer the following.

(Snip)
Q. Should Donald Trump be rejected as a fascist?

A. No. Fascism fortunately never took root in America. Trump should be rejected instead as a present-day Know-Nothing, both literally and as a throwback to the secret nativist society active in the 19th century. Comment: As a nation, we began by declaring that all men are created equal, Lincoln wrote in 1855. We now practically read it all men are created equal, except negroes. When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics. When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.